Murdered!

Playa

One of my Perculas has been murdered:-( what a frigging bummer!

Ever since I introduced my mated pair of Perculas, they immediately adopted an Orange Montipora. They never left it other than to search for food during feeding times. Last week I saw one of the Perculas hanging around my Hammer coral. I suspect he did not want to share it with his mate and decided to kill him(her). My wife told me this evening that he saw him being attacked this morning by his mate. I guess their love was not so deep for each other.

Now I only have one clown. I will either search for another mate(but sort of hesitant, since this one has a killing instinct already)or just return this guy to the LFS and just get a new mated pair.

Bad day:-( really a bad day:-( I really thought they made a good couple.

To make things more difficult I noticed that my Scotts Wrasse was no where to be seeing. Sure enough I look at the back of the tank and there he is laying lifeless. I believe the Hawaian Flame caused it.

At this point there is a fued between the Red Sea Sailfin and the Orange back Wrasse. The Flame harrases the Orange back as well. I hope they will eventually leave him alone.

When a new fish enters the reef, they are normally in the company of at least one other. In particular if they are of the same family, in the case of Fairy wrasses for instance.

But it proves that this does not always works.

We will see what tomorrow brings.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Oh, man sorry to hear Playa:( .

I originally had a pair of percs, the male went carpet surfing after 2 months, got another 4 months later, and the original female killed him. The original pair were my first fish after I pulled the damsels out that my lfs sold me to cycle my tank:rolleyes: Now I'm down to the original female.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Playa...sorry to hear it!

Just be sure when the reef detectives use graphite for finprinting, you do something to filter it out....it makes a real mess!

BoomerD

My condolences for your loss. I just lost 2 baby bangaii's in my 20. Suspect one to the othe inhabitants. It's temporarily overcrowded, so it's possible. Tomorrow, I get to move some of them out, and make a bit of room.

Mary

Evil Angel
Sorry for your loss there, Luis! Especially when they were a pair!!! It's so bothersome when you lose any fish that you've had for awhile! :(

Craig Manoukian

Clowns are very territorial as you have found out and it sounds like your Percs were not a true mated pair. A true mated pair will generally be past the juvenile stage and there will be a big difference in size as the male is the smaller of the pair.

What a bummer to here of the demise of your Clown and Wrasse! The other scuffling between your fish is also disconcerting. Hopefully everything will chill out and no more bad reports Luis.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Gina

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear playa. But I would try again with another one. For some reason, just hate to see clowns alone.

jks1

Sorry to hear about the losses Playa- i agree try it again, its so cool to have a mated pair

ste

i agree try again the male died in my pair and the female wouldn't except the new male i chose and i had to rescue him when i took him back to the shop, a guy in the shop suggested to try a baby so i swapped for a tiny one, she seemed to mother it at first but now they are a pair. good luck

Cougra

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope that you can find another fish for the pair. I like the suggestion of getting a juvienile. I have also read that getting a couple of small percs and let the female choose which one she prefers then remove the other when they start picking on it.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sorry to hear Luis of your losses! I have a tomato chown and have thought of getting a very small one to see if they would pair up but it seems to do fine without the other significant other!:)

big t

I started with one clown. I had it for a year. I then got another tiny one, and the bigger one smacked it around a couple times, but now they are a happy couple. I have heard that this method usually works. :D

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Sorry! :(

You could try replacing it with a smaller clown. The smaller they are, the more submissive.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I'm surprised at the amount of aggression in such a large tank, sorry for the loss playa:( I also suggest you get a juvenile it worked for me. Usually when you get two clowns, if you buy one larger than the other, the larger one will turn more aggressive and become the female.;) You have great neighbors mike:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Last edited:

Playa

Thanx everyone for the kind words. Services date for the clown and the Scott's to be announced soon.

Mike that was really funny:)

tankgirl

Aw, Luis, that's just awful! A rotten day - we all get them! Hope you don't let it get you down. Cheers, my friend.