Mollies in a Reef tank...

jski711

Well i figured i'd give it a try and see what happens, im acclimating a gold one now. i would like to hear some other people who have tried this and the results. thanks for any info.

Jake

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've mad mixed results. I had (1) that lived for a few months but the other only lived a couple of weeks.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I acclimated over a week I believe..... slowly adding SW each day... it's been a good while so I can't remember the exact details... :)

CATALYST

I had a black sailfin in my salt tank. I had him in there for a couple months. I added my clowns and they chewed on him so I took him out. I think he had a napoleon complex and was a little too nosy.
Here's a link about mollies.

SubRosa

The main reason Mollys die in a reef tank is the fact that they're not reef fish and the high flow rates in many tanks just wear them out. A far as acclimation time why take any longer than the time between low tide and high tide? They've evolved to handle this on a twice daily basis.

John

jski711

well my mollie is doing just fine but i haven't seen him even pick at any algae really. any ideas?

thanks,

Jake

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jake it's very hit and miss with a Mollie eating any algae let alone enough to make a difference. IMHO there are better alternatives :) I can't say much because I did the SAME thing last year :)

Varga

IMO you're never going to find an animal to solve your algae problems permanently. For me, the hard way worked best, just lower N and P and watch your algae disappear. good luck :)

jski711

a few weeks ago i checked my n and p. p was .03 and n was pretty much undetectable. figure that out... p was checked on a hanna photometer or whatever its called. thanks,

Jake

CATALYST

Oh...didn't know what algae you had. My molly would eat the same algae like a turbo snail would...nori and small sized algaes. What size is your tank?

reefer4200

your n an p are probably not detectable as the the caulerpa is eating it right up. You could try the vodka method and or atleast lower feeding and whatever else your adding that will cause nitrates...

sambrinar

I would just add phosban in a mesh bag to you sump or filter, needs good water flow and it will compete with the algae for the phos. and you could get chaeto to compete for the nitrate.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
your n an p are probably not detectable as the the caulerpa is eating it right up. You could try the vodka method and or atleast lower feeding and whatever else your adding that will cause nitrates...

reefer4200 I don'[t think it's very practical or safe to even mention the "Vodka" method as a potential measure for something like this. That method requires precise dosing and isn't for the "average" aquarist. It's popular across the pond (over seas) but in the US it's responsible for more tank crashes than it has helped.

One of our own members just had a terrible experience with it here
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chemistry-forum/37726-my-tank-had-hang-over-yesterday.html

In a reef tank short cuts :stars: are usually met with disaster :explode:

sambrinar

Al that is why I mentioned the phosban/chaeto. That vodka thing is scary to me and not worth the risk IMHO