Mod's RSM S500

Nob35

Looking forward to seeing how it works for you. I still have not decided which controller I will get, I have narrowed it down to reef angel, reef keeper and apex.

modulok

I got a shipment on Thursday from LiveAquaria. The packages were due to arrive before 12pm from FedEx, but they showed up 3:52pm!

I would guess the delivery truck was maybe 50 F, and extra 4 hours did not help keep the temps up. I measured the temps of the bagged water, and most were around 65 F. I dripped them for 90-120. So far everything is living and seems ok.

Also I ordered some pods and algae from them, it was 2nd day air via FedEx, slated to arrive Friday. It did not come and does not look like it will be delivered today. Lets say the water is 60 F over the weekend, will these survive when they get to me? Assuming FedEx doesn't get them to me before 12pm again, I am thinking I will be getting very cold water.

Choff

That's late for FedEx. I wonder what's going on that would make them so late??? :D

Hope everything works out with the second order.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

modulok

It actually arrived today...5:05pm...The red algae seems ok, but I do not see any of the pods moving. The heat pack wasn't even a bit warm, and the reef pod bottle was almost an icicle.

Not sure if I should add dead pods or not.

Nob35

Not sure but I think the pods should be ok. Most places say to refrigerate until ready to use. Think it slows there metabolism and they stop moving so they do not waste energy. Let them warm up and see if they start moving.

modulok

True, but they do have the cap opened for air. I think if it were 10 degrees colder I would have a frozen block of ice. I just emailed LA telling they what happened, 4hr late fish/coral, and day late pods/algae.

Going to develop pics I took today, hopefully some came out ok to post.

modulok

War Coral
2292.jpeg

Flameback Dwarf Angel
2293.jpeg

2294.jpeg

Flame Dwarf Angel
2295.jpeg

Orchid Dottyback
2296.jpeg

Sand Sifting Starfish
2297.jpeg

FTS
2298.jpeg

David Shaw

Great new pics. So nice to see your Angels getting along and looking stunning. Flame Angels are my all time favourite, they add so much colour to the tank.

Your tank is looking absolutely fantastic, well done you !

I have just spent the evening moving a couple of rocks around and generally trying to improve on the look of the tank and creating more swimthroughs for the fish and to help with flow around the rock work.. What should have taken an hour turned into a whole evening as i won;t quit until i am happy with things. Note to self... stop messing with things :)

Nob35

+1 pics are fantastic. Wish my iPhone or iPad would take pics like that. Once I get all the equipment I want for the tank I guess I will start doing research on cameras. Thinking it will be a SLR with possibly a underwater lense. What are you using for pics?

modulok

The Flame Angel has a little bit taken from his tail, not sure when that happened (I suspect the King Starry Blenny...he is the jerk of the tank). He is still a bit shy and very tough to get a good picture of him. The Flameback is much more outgoing and stayed in one area for me to get some good pics. The Dottyback is almost impossible to get. He is so quick and the spot he staked out is hard for me to get a straight shot of him.

Using a Canon EOS 20D with a Canon EF 100mm 1:2.8 macro lens for the closeups. I need to get better, can't seem to get the colors exact, the Orchid Dottyback is much more purple. His color is amazing!

Also I forgot to update my controller status.

I have my Reef Angel hooked together next to my desktop computer and testing some things and making sure ports do what I coded so far.
Three temp probes - display, sump, room
PH - need to calibrate
3x flow pumps
return - delay 3 mins after powered/feed/water change
skimmer - delay 6 mins after powered/feed/water change
2x heaters (display & sump) - each one configured to their own temp probes
T5 light panels - individual schedules set
RSM LED moonlights - on for 3 hrs after T5 lights go out
sump light - own 8 hr schedule
2x dimmable moonlights set to the moonphase

I have two relay units, one plugged into UPS and one standard surge protector. When 2nd relay has lost power for 2 minutes, I shut down all ports but 2 flow pumps. When power is restored for 2 minutes everything resumes. (Not sure if other controllers are this flexible and could do this)
I have it hooked up to my network and the web portal and droid app are great. I had to extend the wires for the moonlights, temp probes, and PH probe.

Forum is great, usually within hours after I post a problem or ask how something can be done there is an answer. I used the wizard for the initial setup, but manually pasting code is not complicated at all.

modulok

Added some code that shuts off skimmer when return pump is off. No more forgetting to turn off the skimmer when the return is off!

ElTurco

Hi M,
Great additions indeed. A quick question; your live rocks are so red.. Is it coroline alg covering? If yes what additives are you using ?

Brgds

modulok

It is some kind of Coraline.

In my RSM250 I was using Kent Purple Tech. I added brand new rocks in when I got my 500 and they also turned the same dark red color. Not sure what is producing the color, but it's definitely nice looking.

modulok

OK, I think today is the day when I remove the stock power center and put in my Reef Angel controller. I really like the power failure feature. With the controller and main power box being on a UPS, it will turn off everything but 1 flow pump. I am not sure if the "other guys" can do this.

Here is what I have setup so far. Any suggestions/comments/questions welcomed.

• Feed Mode (leave one pump on)
  • Water Change Mode (shutdown everything but center and sump lights)
  • Overheat Temp (turns off 4 bulb fixtures, heaters)
  • Return & Skimmer Delay start (from power on, feed, water change & power outage)
  • 2xheaters (display pump area & sump)
  • 3xtemp probes (display pump area, sump, & room)
  • Heaters on/off with corresponding probe
  • T5 Light Schedule (each panel on/off separately)
  • Center 10a-8p
  • Front 11a-6p
  • Back 12p-7p
  • Stock Moonlights (on 7p-10p & 8a-11a also on 7p-11a for full moon)
  • Dimmable Moonlights (Brightness dictated by actual moon phase)
  • Refugium Light (12a-8a)
  • Power Outage Mode (when power outage occurs, wait 5 seconds, then shutdown everything but 1 flow pump)
  • Skimmer turns off when Return is off

I will take some pics and post later. I was going to do a real review for a site I write for, but misplaced the card with the pictures when opening the package. I may skip doing a full review.

David Shaw

Wow, impressive. I will stick to running stock as i would have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how to begin doing all that. Am very impressed at your skill and knowledge doing such a mod.

modulok

Haha, thanks. It's not THAT hard.

On another note, I have somewhat of an infestation. I cannot get a good picture.
They are translucent, with the center being a little darker. They are on some of my red mushrooms and palys (from what I found). I have seen one or two on the glass months back. I scraped them off they just roll up. I removed them when I could. But obviously I didn't get them all.

The corals look ok, but I don't know what these things are doing. Impossible to remove them, because I'm sure they are everywhere.

Anyone have ANY ideas?

modulok

I guess it could be. I just googled and found 2 pics that look like what I see. They are kinda tooth-shaped.

clear_flatworm_tb.jpg

I will try and get a pic of mine on the mushrooms with the macro lens.

Nob35

There are a few different wrasses that are said to eat flat worms. I have a Solon and Melanurus wrasse but cannot confirm that they eat them as I do not think I ever had flat worms. I have read that the Melanurus and Christmas wrasse will eat flat worms and both are reef safe.