Mod's RSM S500

modulok

I put 40lbs of dry Reef Sand and 20lbs of Alive Reef Sand. I'm not sure if I want to add another 20lbs or not.

The bottom of the tank is different. The outer 1" on the bottom glass has a lip. Meaning there are two different depth levels.

Here is a FTS with the 60lbs of sand and 15 gallons of water.
2094.jpeg

Here is a closer pic from the front.
2095.jpeg

Choff

Looking good!

I did a quick EZ Kilawatt test...

Pumps only (skimmer, return, 3xflow) = 217w, 4.64a
Pumps & all 10 lights = 813w, 8.14a (initial) | 738w, 7.55a (after 5 minutes)

Thank you for this! I was starting to get worried. I was starting to figure out how I could run a dedicated circuit, but does not look like I will need to. Are you going to add a chiller?

Also, noticed you said you got a RSM care package? Did they stop sending these out or I wonder if the LFS poached it because it was sent to them first?

modulok

Alan from RS sent the package. He was the one who helped me see the tank in person locally.

The day I was waiting for delivery I checked what else was on the circuit. Only the TV/Router outlet, two kitchen outlets, and gas stove. I'm good on the 20amp, but the 650 does have an extra pump (or two if you have chiller), and over 200w more in lighting. Running everything for 5 minutes on the EZ KW and the cost was around $55/mo. Obviously will be less since lights aren't on 24/7.

Choff

I figured I would be a bit higher. I have a TV, DVR, Stereo & 2 lights on the circuit. I don't think the extra pump, DVR and stereo will hit 12a to push me over 20.

Looks like you answered another question for me too, I was just going to ask sand or rock first. Looks like sand.

modulok

Yeah, even if the 650 is 10amp (chiller could be a lot though), you should be fine with a 15amp breaker.

I actually did the fill differently this time. When I got my 250 I filled it with RO, then mixed in the salt. Then dumped the sand in and let it clear.
This time I want to know how much water I actually have. It's a bit more work to fill 15 gal of RO and mix, then add to the tank, but it probably the best route.

Add sand & probably 15-20 gallons of water for the 650. Then get a large rock and pour the rest of the water onto the rock to help minimize wet sand craters & splashing.

modulok

Added 30 gallons last night. Also put some of my new BRS Pukani & Shelf rock in. I still have a Branch rock and large Shelf rock to do tonight.

I am consistently making 15 gallons per day (3.5gal RO tank is sweet - drain it in the am while getting ready for work, then when I get home I drain it again and let it drip until I go to bed).
Right now I have have 45 gallons in the tank, and 15 gallons ready to put in when I get home. I should have 75 gallons in the tank for the move on Sunday, plus 50-60 gallons in old tank. I think I should have 15-20 gallons reserve to compensate for loss of water during move from RSM250. Totaling about 150-155 gallons for a 135 gal system.

45 gal & 60lbs of reef sand with 2 Pukani rocks, and one small Shelf rock. Pukani helps displace new water poured in and there was almost zero sand stirrup.

2098.jpeg

modulok

Thanks. I think the thing I like the most is the lights. The fixture is so well designed. And so effin bright. When my other tank is asleep and I quickly turn on the 500's lights I think it really bugs them out. Nemo actually hides between some rocks. I am thinking I will have to acclimate the livestock to the light upgrade. My RSM250 lights are about 9 months old now, the 500 is noticeably blue-er. How do you think I should ease them into the new lighting?

mikezanga

Moduluk....looking good....I too love the color and design of the fixture, but the heat is a bit of problem...my tank has been up and running now for three days and running the lights 10 hours a day my temp gets to 84/85 degrees...unfortunately looks like a chiller(likely) or led retrofit(less likely) are in the cards...:-( GOod luck this weekend with finishing your filling and move....

modulok

wow...I only have turned the lights on for no more than 5 minutes. What is your heater set to? Also the ambient room temp. How quickly does the temp get that high? Before adding a chiller I would try to add some fans the the sump area.

My water is still a little chilly. I will need to heat it up before transferring my livestock. But I don't want temps going that high. Maybe I can heat up the water with the lights, lol.

mikezanga

My heater is set to 76....ambient room temps vary between 65-72...temps in the tank were 84.5 after running for most of the day....today I just ran one of the two fixtures and temps stayed steady at 78....I may try the fan route but my gut tells me the chiller will be required...certainly test your temps with a normal operating plan and see how you do...let me know...good luck.

modulok

Problem is that I will be using 50-60 gallons from old tank. So the water volume will be a little different.

What's your heater wattage? I have a 300w and 200w I was thinking to use in the sump and back area.

I can't believe you had an 8 degree swing. Are all 10 lights on for 10 hours? Or do you have the center fixture come on before the rest and turn off after the other 8 lights.

mikezanga

Heater wattage is 300...all lights are on for 10 hours...the middle two come on with the front fixture...not sure if there is a way to program down to just 8 bulbs???

modulok

The left timer controls the center fixture, and right timer controls back and front fixtures.

I have two center bulbs as actinic, to create sun rise/set. Also it will be better during the hours after I am home from work to not light up the whole room. Right now, I plan to have center bulbs on for 12 hours, and all 10 on for 8 hours. I guess I will monitor the temperature with lights on before I put anything in it.

mikezanga

duh...I messed up and had the light plugs in the wrong socket...thanks moduluk! i'll play with my settings to see if reducing the hours and overall of the 8 & 2(center) bulbs can help me solve the heat issue...thx.

modulok

yeah, even though its labeled, still gotta be careful with the cabinet light socket they put in. Did you try that yet? It would be cool if it was like the moonlights, opposite the center fixture timer for a fuge light.

I'm not sure if it will totally fix the temp increase. Maybe not as much if you run all 10 lights for 10 hours. Maybe if you can attach a fan to the same front/back light socket that will help the heat when those are on. If you do, let me know b/c I will be interested if I need to do something as well.

mikezanga

Haven't tried the fuge/cabinet light yet....will let u know how I do with mixing matching the operating times and bulbs...currently I have alternating actinic/white including in the center....I am not hopeful that I can resolve this without a chiller but I'll give it a shot....will definitely keep you posted...
Jeff...are u out there? Can u share your experience with your 400?
Thx.
Mike

modulok

Here is last night's pic. I put all of the new rock. 60 gallons so far. Started to fill the back chamber.
2099.jpeg