Mod's RSM S500

jeffrey

Jeff, did you get one of those RS step stools? Or was that just a Europe item? I didn't find it yet, and most boxes have been looked at.

Also I checked the three flow pumps, all three are 568gph @ 35w.

No step stool here, I'm 6' 3" the tank is a perfect height for me. If you have any questions while trying to put that monster together I'm here for you, some of those instructions are really vague!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you have any questions while trying to put that monster together I'm here for you, some of those instructions are really vague!

Cheers Jeff !
1085.gif

modulok

I have watched the videos many times even before I made the purchase. Definitely helpful since the instructions are only pictures, no descriptions or instructions to read.

modulok

Heavy lifting day today. I'm hoping to get the rest together and my RO unit will be working overtime for the next week.

I am also gathering ideas for rockscape with new Pukani, Shelf, and Tonga Branch rock I got. I have a larger shelf piece, about 15"x18". And two larger Pukani rocks, roughly 8"x12" and 8"x9". The Branch rock is also large, 15"x10". Rocks have been soaking in tubs for the last two months. Hoping most of the organics have been removed.

jeffrey

Heavy lifting day today. I'm hoping to get the rest together and my RO unit will be working overtime for the next week.

I am also gathering ideas for rockscape with new Pukani, Shelf, and Tonga Branch rock I got. I have a larger shelf piece, about 15"x18". And two larger Pukani rocks, roughly 8"x12" and 8"x9". The Branch rock is also large, 15"x10". Rocks have been soaking in tubs for the last two months. Hoping most of the organics have been removed.
Good luck with the lifting, if you have the same RO/DI that I have it will take a good couple of days to get all that water filtered. Remember to bend those knees not the back! ! !

modulok

Quick update...

Everything is done. I have the tank filled with tap water for leak test and to help clean all of the dust and debris from manufacturing/shipping. Tomorrow I will post a few pics. Next week I plan to scan the manual at work and make a PDF for you guys (beating RS to making it public).

Cabinet/stand was finished and next step was to move the tank inside. Started around 1:30PM, finished around 6PM.

Quick note, the S500 tank is only 265lbs...WAY less than Aviad said in another thread. It wasn't too bad at all moving it inside and on the stand with 3 people. Hardest part was sliding the trim onto the front and back light fixtures.

Nowellsy SNR

Quick update...

Everything is done. I have the tank filled with tap water for leak test and to help clean all of the dust and debris from manufacturing/shipping. Tomorrow I will post a few pics. Next week I plan to scan the manual at work and make a PDF for you guys (beating RS to making it public).

Cabinet/stand was finished and next step was to move the tank inside. Started around 1:30PM, finished around 6PM.

Quick note, the S500 tank is only 265lbs...WAY less than Aviad said in another thread. It wasn't too bad at all moving it inside and on the stand with 3 people. Hardest part was sliding the trim onto the front and back light fixtures.
Great stuff the PDF will be great thanks for that i can read and get ready got plenty of time till i get the tank :) Looking forward to pics

modulok

In the back of the manual it lists the aquarium glass weight.

400 = 220lbs
500 = 265lbs
650 = 310lbs

modulok

I did a quick EZ Kilawatt test...

Pumps only (skimmer, return, 3xflow) = 217w, 4.64a
Pumps & all 10 lights = 813w, 8.14a (initial) | 738w, 7.55a (after 5 minutes)

Last edited:

modulok

I was surprised to see in the videos that there were no hose clamps anywhere?? (on the pumps ect)

I don't understand what you are asking. All of the plumbing are easy screw on and one quick disconnect (return pump).

Does the forum support me uploading the manual PDF I scanned? The attachment window opens with nothing loading.

modulok

Thanks, I just about finished removing all of the tap water from the system. By tomorrow when I get home from work I will have 30 gallons of new saltwater to add. I am dreading washing 40lbs of reef sand. I think I can make about 10-15gallons of water each night. So this weekend hopefully I'll be able to move into the 500.

Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip
Right under the manage attachments button. But that following window shows nothing.

modulok

Last night I finished getting the tap water out of the system. What I really liked about that was the rear chamber (where the pumps are) wasn't bad to empty. The intake holes help clear just about all of the water from the rear chamber and I only needed to towel out maybe 1/4"-1/2" of water. Much easier than the RSM250. Toweling out the sump are was a little awkward, but not too bad. I put a fan blowing into the sump over night to dry out what I missed.

When I get home tonight I will put 30 gallons of new saltwater into the tank, and make another 15 gallons. I will also try to get the 40lbs of reef sand rinsed and placed at the bottom.

Well for now (until RS posts it online) I will host the PDF. I just scanned the Installation & Operation pages, not the assembly pages.

Download PDF [6MB]