Meet Double Saddle Butterflyfish - another Aiptasia terminator

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
My pico had some Aiptasia infestation coming from the zoa frags that I bought recently so I needed a quick fix before it took over the tank. Introducing the Double Saddle Butterflyfish! (or rather a juvenile 1.5 inch version in order to fix my pico). Within 15 minutes of introducing him into the tank, it practically decimated every single Aiptasia with such force that some of the frags that were glued onto the liverocks actually fell off. A word of caution if you're planning to use this butterfly's services, it is not reef safe as it went for my zoas next :yup: I've since moved him to my 80 gallon until his services is required again :cool:

They're quite common over here and are readily available at our LfS. More info here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_double-saddle_butterflyfish

ButterflyFalseFalcula1.jpg

Mike Johnson

I'd say rent it out, but they are very susceptible to ich, so there would have to be a disease clause for replacement. Keep it for very long and you'll fall in love with it; they are a very personable fish.