Many A Question...grab a beer!

Ok, first I want to thank everyone who has offered advice so far in my trip to saltwater satisfaction! I have asked a billion questions and have gotten many great replies and have seriously considered each and every response.

Here's my issue/s....I keep getting mixed information and this hobby is much too expensive to just "try it and find out".

My first issue. I have a 20 gallon tank. (I've heard that this is the smallest possible size one should go and get many a raised eyebrow when I say "I have a 20 gallon tank". But as many of us know....we must start somewhere. Upgrades can always be made and 20 gallons make great sumps, etc. (Not that I know exactly what a sump does :smirk: ) Anyway, all I have with my 20 gallon is a power filter (with the spongey like stuff that is apparently bad for nitrates) and a submersible heater.

I've been told to get a skimmer by some, others say it's not necessary on a 20 gallon. I've been told to get powerheads by some, others say as long as I have a filter and water movement, it's fine.

I've heard that taking the filter sponge out of the filter because it's bad, but I'm afraid that would be a bad move. I know some will tell me to buy expensive because it will save me in the long run...but really what I'm hoping for is the minimal set-up that will allow my fOWLR to thrive.

I currently have 2 astraea snails, 3 nassarius and a Royal Gramma.

Can anyone make this a little more simple? :dryer:

gimpy

jk, how is the gramma doing? If he's doing fine, why change? Anyway, do you have live rock? If so, that will be your bacteria filter; therefore, you would not need the sponge filter for a bacteria filter.

But, the sponge filter can still be used for a mechanical filter. And the power filter, itself, with or without the sponge, can be used for extra water movement if you want to keep it in place of a power head (one less powerhead). If you decide to keep the sponge filter, just rinse it out every 2-3-4 days or whatever to keep it somewhat clean, removing some of the nitrates out of the water column.

A protein skimmer does much the same thing except slightly different. It also removes a lot of the stuff in the water and puts it in the cup so that this stuff does not break down in the tank itself, which reduces nitrates some. A skimmer is good for the tank, but you can get by without one. I did for years.

If you keep the power filter, I think that I would add one (more if you want or not) power head. Your tank is not overloaded with fish right now and you should not have a problem any way you decide to go.

Apparently, you've already asked these questions and have gotten conflicting answers. Asking them again and you will still get conflicting answers. So, even though you don't want to just "try it and find out", that's pretty much what you are going to have to do.

Good luck, Frank

lcstorc

Unfortunately nothing in this hobby is easy or set in stone. Each set-up is unique and that is why it seems like you get different answers. I agree w/gimpy though. If your inhabitants are doing well and you water tests out well then you must be doing something right.
The biggest issue w/a tank that size IMHO is keeping your water parameters in check. I gave up on mine and got a 125g. The 20 was just too difficult to keep the trates down etc, but then again I know it can be done. I was just either too new or too lazy or a combination of the two.
I have become totally convinced of the need for a protein skimmer. If you know someone who has one go over when they are emptying the container. The stuff it pulls out of my tank is truly gross and common sense tells me it should be removed from the tank so the skimmer must be a good thing.
Gimpy make another good point about keeping the sponge clean if you keep it. I have a sponge in the back chamber of my seahorse tank and that thing will get really gross really fasy. Part of this is caused by the feeding requirements of the seahorses, but keep a close eye and clean frequently. At least in my application I like to keep the sponge simply because it is my only real mechanical filtration so it gets the "big stuff" out of the water. Just watch carefully.
Hope this helps some.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
A 20 gal can be kept successfully just keep up with regular water changes. A skimmer is a very nice piece of equipment to have since it is constantly pulling out dissolved organics but you can keep a marine tank without it if you do larger water changes. Keep the nitrAtes below 10ppm~ Ditto to keeping sponges clean! Rinse every 2-3 days to remove the rotting ditritus that they trap. Be sure not to overstock the 20 with too many fish which is where most people go wrong. As far as flow, just be sure you have good surface aggitation and a medium flow throughout the tank. If that is accomplished with a power filter, then great! Also be aware of evaporation and top off atleast once daily. Salinity swings are very stressfull on the animals.

Good luck and share some pics with us :)

returnofsid

If you're only wanting to go FOWLR, I think your set up is just fine, as long as you keep your fish load to a minimum. I agree that once you get your live rock established, you'll need/want to remove the sponge from the power filter. It's going to become a nitrate factory, which will contribute to algae growth. There's a very easy way to turn your power filter into a mini-refugium with some chaeto grass and a small clamp on light. I would add one powerhead for flow as well. You need horizontal flow, which your power filter can't accomplish. I'd aim for about 20-25# of live rock. If you're interested, I'll find and send you the link for converting your power filter into a mini-refugium. I did it with my Aquaclear 300 a couple weeks ago and am very happy with the results!!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Returnofsid... would you happen to have a pic of your clamp on light set up for your refugium?

returnofsid

It's actually just a flexible knecked, clamp on cheapy that I purchased at Walmart. I took out the normal incadescent light bulb and replaced it with one of those Compact Flourescent, high efficiency bulbs that look like a coiled tube and thread in an incadescent fixture. I'll try and get a pic up soon. I think the lamp cost about $8.00. Just make sure you don't get the brushed metal unit it's going to be close to the water and get some spray. I bought the cheapy plastic model.

Gimpy...the Gramma is doing great. He doesn't seem at all stressed, he's been eating like a champ (so much so that sometimes I worry that I'm not feeding him enough). I've had him a little over a week now, but I know I'm not completely out of the woods yet. I do have about 20 pounds of live rock and another 20 of live sand. Am I understanding that I don't need the sponge in my filter as long as I have live rock (I also have a carbon sponge-like thing in with the filter sponge...what does that do? I think I am going to get a powerhead in addition to my power filter for more horizontal flow. ReturnofSid...i'd love the link regarding turning the power filter into a refugium.
Thanks Woody and Lynn for the additional help. I know I'll want to upgrade someday, but want to start slow so I know what I'm getting myself into!

Here are some pics...Mr. Merle...the Royal Gramma...
Mr_-Merle.jpg

That unidentifiable sponge-like thing... if anyone knows what this is...
Pinkspongething.jpg

And the sponge thing with the flash on...
pinksponge.jpg