logging my journey with my first salt tank

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Oh I'm sure smart people would say wear gloves. I would pull the rock out n break or cut that piece out. U can't scrape it or cut it. It'll come back

.............I'm feeling salty.

blackwater

crap..its part of a large rock. oh well, guess i should do it soon before the water clears cause as soon as i move it,it'll get all cloudy again.

Doogle

I've had my woman scrape out/off the aiptasia while I held the offender under running tap water, made sure she scraped real good, never had a return from both times I've done it. Your results may vary. Others say burn it with a jet lighter, inject it with limewater. I was lazy not to long ago and used boiling water in a turkey baster and blew it onto a couple small ones while trying to quickly suck em up - Not 100% it's gonna work but the other method did.

dmatt88

crap..its part of a large rock. oh well, guess i should do it soon before the water clears cause as soon as i move it,it'll get all cloudy again.

Take a hammer n screwdriver n break the rock.

blackwater

well this morning i pulled the rock out(had to take almost all of it out to get the one i wanted) and got rid of the pest. while doing this found another hitch hicker. think its some kind of slug, was very small maby a quarter inch. gonna look it up in the hitch hiker guide. water got really cloudy again(knew this was gonna happen) and so i didn't bother arranging the rock,just put it in and will wait for it to clear then i'll be able to see what im doing.

dmatt88

Google sea hare. They look slug like. Some are beneficial some not.

blackwater

nope. didn't look like that. its smooth and dark in color almost black and its head didn't have anything sticking out from it. kinda like a snail without a shell?

blackwater

could be looks more like that than anything else i saw in the forums. when the rock was out of water it moved fairly quick for snail/slug. should got a pic. was very small though. thanks for the info. when the water clears and i move the rock i'll try and find it.

dmatt88

Stomatella snails r keepers. U will get a bunch.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers - that would be my guess to a Stomatella snail - good member of the cuc

Stomatella15b.jpg

blackwater

so last night the water had cleared a bit and i could see a lot of sand had settled onto the LR. so i used a turkey baster to blow it off, this re-clouded the water. now this morning the water cleared a bit again but the sand settled on the LR again. any suggestions on how to avoid this. what do you guys do in this situation. remove LR and rinse then put back in,keep blowing it off, leave it on the rock?

dmatt88

Just b gentle blowing off the sand. You will fight this for a few weeks then it goes away.

blackwater

alright then will do. been reading members build threads lately, yours is awesome....and hilarious. guess i should have started this in that area but at the time i didn't know it was there.

dmatt88

Good luck with the sand. Its frustrating but short lived.

blackwater

so this is the light im thinking of getting. im open to suggestions if this is not suitable or if there is a similar light for less money. it's a Aquatic Life T-5 HO light with 4 bulbs and 2 led's. its the 30inch model.
some details: 2 10,000k bulbs
2 420/460nm actinic bulbs
2 led's
1 power cable
built in programmable timer, allows each set of lights to run independently
bulbs are 24watts each
led's are 1watt each

and here in Canada its $419.99...............sooooooooo what you think? good, bad, ugly?

dmatt88

Aquaticlife makes a decent fixture. Order extra night leds they burn out fairly quick. Can ya swing the price of a 6 bulb? Its extra par n if u don't need all 6 bulbs u can pull a few.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I would also suggest losing the glass top. That has a tendency to hold heat it (when you go to T5's) and gasses you want to dissipate.