logging my journey with my first salt tank

blackwater

so the idea is if i write about this tank as it progresses is that i might be prevented from making some mistakes and others starting out might get some help too. for background i have never done a salt tank but have been wanting to for years. had multiple freshwater tanks(currently have just my 65g tall planted tank). i broke down a tank i was using to breed krib's in to use for this salt project. the tank is a 29g and is 30"x18"x12" (glass) with glass tops that leave about 1-2" open at the back(for equipment) im using 2 koralia evo750 PH's and a marineland single bright LED light(this will be up graded to a t5 system before i get too far into this tank) also im using a fluval heater of some sort had it for a while and its always been reliable in this size tank. i have a 2 and a half inch sand bed of carib sea ocean direct( see my other thread about that) and about 30lbs of fiji live rock. no filter but will be getting a skimmer asap. would like a hob style skimmer(its a small tank and don't want to take up any space in it) if anyone has any idea which hob skimmer would be reliable(no leaking on my floor..lol)suggestions are welcome. specific gravity of the water is 1.025 and im using instant ocean. as of now it is day 7 and im about to add a shrimp to help the cycle along. should note i have not tested the water for anything other than specific gravity as of yet. plan on getting a API master kit soon.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome! Sounds like you've done a good amount of research and you are well on your way. You are definitely doing the right thing by starting a tank thread and letting everyone know what you are doing. This will save you from making all the mistakes that we've already made! Ask questions and post some pics of your setup!

blackwater

yup that was my thought too. will put some pics up soon though there aint much to look at just a lot murky water:(

blackwater

off topic question but i couldn`t find it in the faq. what do the red,grey and blue mail icons mean at the beginning of each thread mean ?(when your looking through the different threads)

blackwater

k have added a shrimp but it was floating around and kept getting stuck to the PH's. so i pinched it under a piece of LR(most of the shrimp is exposed just the tail is pinched). really want the water to clear so i can see whats going on in there. hand a hitch hiker on my rock(think some kind of soft coral) want to see if its still alive. i used a turkey baster to blow some sand off the PH's and.....................guess what? it made the water even more cloudy:flaming: i wiped all the foam scum at the top out and pointed one of the PH's up towards the surface...looks like white water rafting up there now. the other is pointed at the bulk of the live rock. gota feeling i will be changing where the PH's point in another couple weeks. question. when i add a skimmer will it agitate the surface enough so that i can have both PH's pointed at different areas of the rock. or should i get a third PH(smaller one) to use just for surface agitation.

DaveK

This is something that a newly setup systems is going to do as it cycles. It's really a non-issue. Just leave things alone, and while it may seem worse before it gets better, once the tank cycles it will be just fine, and the water clear.

With live rock and live sand, you have to keep in mind that these are living products, and can easily cause these effects at first.

Don't panic.

Doogle

Ya I remember the foam when I just set up, thought to myself no wonder everyone says get a skimmer...it goes away on it's own.
We have alot in common with our tanks etc. Throw up some pictures! We love pictures, lol.

blackwater

should have pics up sometime tonight but like i said before not much to look at. you'll see the led light im using in the pics, this light is only temporary it is not suitable for any coral.

Doogle

I hear ya, in my reef chronicle its funny to see how the tank started and where it is now.

Doogle

I hear ya, in my reef chronicle its funny to see how the tank started and where it is now. Well, mine hasn't had much happen compared to other people's tanks, but it's neat to see a tank created and watch it grow.

blackwater

here is a pic of the tank with the wrong substrate in it. can anyone id this hitch hiker. have looked through the threads and found a great guide but found nothing, some similar though.
2012-06-28 12.55.42.jpg

blackwater

here is the hitch hiker (it moved about 4 inches up from where i first saw it) might not see it too well in this pic.
2012-06-30 21.19.40.jpg
you can just see it right in the center of the pic.