Lakersfreaks RSM 130D

So what fish should I start with? I think if I put clowns in there to begin with they may be aggressive towards fish I add later. Am I correct? I'd like to have two clowns in my tank.....I should but then in a pair correct?

Sent while in motion via HTC Vivid

Are these little white bugs on my tank glass normal? Not sure if you can see them on the picture. There's a million of them on the glass and also have noticed that my tank is now super cloudy with either these bugs or other particles.
18b411ed-2fe7-653c.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
During the cycle just run the lights when you're looking at the tank. Nothing in there needs the light so you're just wasting energy, bulb life and possibly accelerating an algae bloom. Until you have photosynthetic coral in there just run the lights when you're home looking at the tank.

So my re ank has gotten super cloudy...can't tell if they're micro bubbles or debris of some sort. I have the regular carbon from Rsm. Should I switch over to chemu pure elite? Will that help clean it up? I also still have a million little tiny "bugs" on the tank glass......sorry for the noob questions.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Nice start buddy. That diatom bloom will subside leaving good ol green algae n eventually Coralline. Let this run its course. Algae is an important part of a tank. Tends to feast on nitrates which is obviously harmful. Keep with the pics ur tank looks nice.

........wet floors add character.

So just an update. Tested my water; ph 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 0.

The only issues I have are red/bubble algae, and my clown (my only fish in the tank) has popped eye. I researched and read that usually bad quality of water equals popped eye.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

bhazard

Test/treat for phosphates. Switch to Chemi Pure Elite if you don't already have GFO in the tank.

You are using RO/DI water right for top offs and saltwater changes? Is the skimmer making any skimmate?

Try adding more flow too. A small powerhead in the tank works wonders, like the Koralia Nano. I added a JBJ Oceanpulse wavemaker/powerhead duo myself.

bhazard

How many turbo snails should I have in the tank? At the moment I have one.

Don't use Turbos. They will bulldoze your corals over and become huge. Stay with the one since he's already in there. In about 6 months you'll see why.

I prefer a mix of cerith, nassarius, and nerite.

Test/treat for phosphates. Switch to Chemi Pure Elite if you don't already have GFO in the tank.

You are using RO/DI water right for top offs and saltwater changes? Is the skimmer making any skimmate?

Try adding more flow too. A small powerhead in the tank works wonders, like the Koralia Nano. I added a JBJ Oceanpulse wavemaker/powerhead duo myself.

I do have chemi pure elite. What's GFO?

I do use purified water and my skimmer works like magic. So you think I need a powerhead huh?

Thanks for your help!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
GFO - The purpose of granular ferric oxide is to inhibit algae growth by removing phosphates from the aquarium. Maintaining low phosphate levels will help prevent algae outbreaks and control growth. Serious algae outbreak is one of the most common reasons for complete tank shutdown. GFO is an essential tool and should be part of regular tank maintenance.

This is from the BRS site.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
What do you mean by "purified water"? Are you referring to RO/DI water?

GFO - The purpose of granular ferric oxide is to inhibit algae growth by removing phosphates from the aquarium. Maintaining low phosphate levels will help prevent algae outbreaks and control growth. Serious algae outbreak is one of the most common reasons for complete tank shutdown. GFO is an essential tool and should be part of regular tank maintenance.

This is from the BRS site.

How to get GFO??????

I'm using arrowhead water at the moment. Is that bad?