Kyle's RSM 250

Dweezil

Kyle... if that is the rock and you really want to be sure, set it outside and let it dry out for a month or so. Then clean it up and put it back in your tank as dry rock, it will come back to life minus your problems. Good luck!

That's what I would do Kyle ~ Especially if you have colonial hydroids. You do not want those in your tank. They spread easily and are quite difficult to get rid of.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If it's as cold in Missouri as it's been here, one night outside might freeze any life out of that rock!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have read that freezing rock, is like boiling it. Will kill everything... always though about that & a freezer, on a real cold night, that would work !

David Shaw

I once was preparing to put a frozen cube of mysis in the tank for feeding, and when it defrosted one of the shrimp started to move and came back to life.

Was very freaky.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I guess it's possible. I've heard of fish frozen in chunks of ice reviving after being thawed - the ones that weren't filleted. :)

kyley

The pistol shrimp are back at it already - and my wife saw two at once. Doesn't sound like the long freshwater dips did any lasting damage to them! So - about this freezing idea... I'm sure that would kill the pistols. But would it also kill off the coralline and bacteria? If you think those would survive, I might try that method... Either way, think it would kill off enough that it would cause an ammonia spike in my tank? I don't really want to nuke the rock and lose out on that much of my biological filter... Thoughts? Thanks,
--Kyle

kyley

Hi All,
I got some new coral today (more on that later). One of them was a torch coral, and on the skeleton I saw a *lot* of tiny anemones, polyps, or something (all much smaller than an asterina star). Here's a pic, showing a bit of the torch tentacles for size perspective. Do you think these are baby majano anemones?
majano.jpg

I tried scraping them all off the skeleton in a bucket, but not sure if that will do much good (they'll probably come back?). I've avoided majanos so far - hope I didn't just start another problem with this coral :p Thanks,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Kyle - difficult to tell what those are (or were). Based on the Majanos that I have, I don't think they're baby Majanos, but it is possible they are. They could be some other type of coral. Hopefully you got rid of them, whatever they are.

kyley

Well, if so, then I made a big mistake :( Maybe I acted too fast - but looking at pictures of small majanos online, it sure looked very close... I was afraid to let them grow and find out what they are (once they're all over the tank!). Thanks,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
A possibility pocketreef. It would be unusual to see new heads on the dead skeleton, rather than the fleshy part, but anything is possible. Better safe than sorry though.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Having any luck with the pistols? I have clicking in my tank also but have never lost anything or seen anything that could cause it apart from a small brown unidentifiable crab.

kyley

Hi Leigh, no, not yet. They keep clicking away even after a night of intended torture (freshwater dip, hypersalinity dip, oxygen starved bucket with no flow, and vigorously shaking the rock in a bucket to simulate a hurricane) :)

All, I'm going to show my newbie status ( :ponder2: ) and ask what is this in the middle of my torch coral's skeleton. This was taken in the dark at night [with flash]) so the tentacles had receded. Is this the torch coral's mouth?? It goes in and out and grabbing at stuff like a hand (it looks like tiny finger bones!) :)
torch_mouth1.jpg
torch_mouth2.jpg

Or do I just have a feather duster in the middle of my coral? Thanks,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
A barnacle - harmless filter feeders. They have that one sided fan that looks like a radar dish. It comes out, waves around a bit to try to catch things, gets pulled back in, and repeats over & over. Do you see yours do that?

kyley

Yes, it was doing that a lot last night while the torch's tentacles were retracted. So, my question is - is it irritating the torch coral? I mean, it is right in the middle of the one torch coral head! When it was out, the tentacles were all the way retracted on that head, while the other heads were still out a bit... Thanks,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I suppose it might be irritating, but since the barnacles usually live inside a hard calcium based "home" it's probably been there a while. I'm not sure it could be removed or killed without harming the coral. Maybe it could be safely popped of with a knife? If the torch still extends it's tentacles when the lights are on it's probably nothing to worry about - just my opinion.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome Kyle! I don't recall having any barnacles in/on my corals but have seen the little fans coming out of incredibly small holes in my live rock. Interesting critters - enjoy them!