Kyle's RSM 250

kyley

Everything I've read says they're all safe. And I just added to the post above with info about the noise - that solved a mystery - thought it was my glass thermometers hitting the glass - until I took them out! It's a loud "snap!" :) They're also very small - body is probably ~1.5 inches max. They move around so fast - I'm excited to have been able to get a single pic of them!
--Kyle

reefhusker

Kyle congrats on the hitchhiker. That is if you like pistol shrimp (which is what it looks like to me). I used to have one in my BC8 and hated him because he ruined my sand all over the tank. I got a redbanded high fin goby to go with him. (Love that fish,w/ great personality) The shrimp died before they paired up but the fish is still my favorite. Unbelievable youre still finding those critters.

kyley

Uh, wow... Well, hmm... That's scary Terry! I did lose my Peppermint Shrimp that seemed healthy, so that's certainly a possibility...
--Kyle

kyley

Yeah, think I might try to get them out... I'll try brute force. Take the rock out and try to shake them out in a bucket of saltwater. Someone said try hypersalinity with the water (what specific gravity is "hypersalinity" though?).

From what I'd read, I'd like to keep them, but I found a few instances of people that had problems with them. And it's hard for me to refute the evidence that they may have gotten "Minty".

Got my ocellaris clown today. :) Tried to inspect it closely - but now that I have it in my tank, I notice the bottom fin looks torn :( Do those grow back on fish? Thanks,
--Kyle

kyley

The battle with my pistol shrimp is on... And so far they're winning :(

Tonight it was an easy decision - they've got to go. They're getting more and more brave and territorial. Tonight I heard the snapping and looked at the aquarium to see our Emerald crab tumbling off the Pistol Shrimps' rock... Then I watched one reach out around the corner of a rock and snap a turbo shell's snail! I put my hand in with a glove, and one even came out and snapped my finger! I clearly felt it through the glove. So, these are *not* good pistol shrimp! :(

I read of people trying all sorts of methods - hypersalinity, very hot water, freshwater dip, carbonated water, bottle traps, and leaving the rock in a saltwater bucket (with no circulation so they have a lack of oxygen) overnight. Tonight I've tried freshwater dips twice for a minute each. The first time they snapped like crazy the first couple seconds, but didn't come out of the rock :( I also tried shaking the rock around in the water (a lot) - no luck... Guess I'll try hypersalinity now, then leave the rock in a bucket overnight - with a bottle trap for good measure :) Just had to take a break from the battle and gather my thoughts - back to it!
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good luck getting them out. That's the first time I've heard of anyone getting a personal snap by a pistol - those are pretty brave shrimp!

tnwillia

Kyle... Here is mine, he's the best sandsifter in the world. He's never hurt anything in my tank!

DSC01073.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
My tiger pistol has never been a problem either, but that appears to not be true with all of them. Mine also has a yellow watchman goby to keep him company in his burrow - maybe that keeps the shrimp from being aggressive??? I've never seen the color type that you have Kyle, so that type looks like it's behaving like the one in the video. It sounds like yours are rock dwellers - mine burrows under rock and has never been on or in the rock, unlike yours. Strange.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good find Tom! By the way you once asked me if the bands were distinct on my brown tiger pistol, and they are quite distinct. It probably means nothing, but I thought I'd give you a long overdue answer. :)

Dweezil

Kyle ~ Best of luck getting those out...they definately sound like they need to go..poor Emerald :-( Just keep telling yourself.."I'm human, I AM smarter than a shrimp!" haha Keep us updated I'm pulling for you.

David Shaw

Oh dear, another clicking tank. I would definitely get them out, i would even ditch the rock they were in if i had too now you know which one it is in.

I think thats what i had in mine, not a mantis, i could hear clicks and popping sounds in the evenings, really loudly. A freshwater dip got it / them out (even though i had to strip down the tank to do it). Now i don't hear those clicks anymore thankfully so whatever it was got flushed.

I was being driven insane by them.

(i am having flashbacks now I think need to go lie down in a darkened room with some incense and gentle music)

tnwillia

Thanks Terry! I couldn't find much of anything on rock/cave dwelling pistols but this guy popped up in that search. There are so many different posibilities. I found one thread where a guy was saying he got a rock with a lot of pistol hitchikers. I guess you really never know how they are going to act.

kyley

Hey Guys,
Well, the battle ended with a loss for the evening (in that I failed to get either of the pistols out). Yes, these are rock-dwelling rather than sand-dwelling pistols. It's certainly possible I killed them off with the long fresh water dips and even a hypersalinity dip (though I doubt it). I put the rock back in the aquarium for now. I'd hate to lose this rock, but it has been a pain... It has a lot of colony hydroids on it that I can't get rid of. Maybe I should take this as a sign and take it back today. Hmm... I think I'll see if I hear any clicking first (if they're still alive) and then try a dip once again. If it doesn't work, that may be what I have to do.

Tom, thanks for that link, I'll read it further later. I'd also found a pic of it here - but no info.

Tammy, you're right - I AM smarter than a shrimp! :)
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'm surprised the FW dip didn't affect the hydroids - that would have nice to have that happen! As you said, it could be possible the shrimp died inside the rock during the dips. Maybe you should just wait a few days to see if you get any clicks or sightings.

tnwillia

Kyle... if that is the rock and you really want to be sure, set it outside and let it dry out for a month or so. Then clean it up and put it back in your tank as dry rock, it will come back to life minus your problems. Good luck!