Kerry's Starter Reef

Here we go again, the hitchhiker crab is still there that was another small one that came out along with a mussel, getting fed up now ready to give up....

Oxylebius

Nope, don't give up.... right now the crabs are small and won't do much harm. As you are building the tank that you want, just be patient with the traps and soon you will have all the crabs out of there. Keep posting pics as you can get them and we will keep trying to ID them for you and providing encouragement to help you get through this phase of your tanks development.

Another Hitch-hiker crab found will post a picture shortly, now i need to get rid of the rubbish that is collecting at the bottom of the tank it is the bits falling off of the rock and it looks horrible, and ideas??

dda0e0823a0aaea723b410a8f3ae0d34.jpg

Ok I have not posted for a while but all is going well corals now being added to the tank, not sure yet again if I am being told the truth but should I only have minimal contact with the tank as far as the live rock is concerned because I want to change things around to make more areas and bridges within the tank.

Has anyone thought that the c130 is noisy the fans on the lights are the problem, has anyone got any ideas what can be done about it because it is starting to get annoying.

I have now installed an auto topup system and also a wave maker because I am still having the problem of the brown remnants from the live rock sitting on the sand bed of the tank, any ideas about what to do would be great the wave maker is not moving it.

sirrealism

Tank is looking good. As far as the "brown remnants" on the sand. Is it waist from the rock or is it algae? If its algae it is very normal for a newer system to go through this and it will take some time for it to stop. Its a pain but there is not much you can do accept vacuum it up every couple days. I dont have an RSM so I cant help you with the fan noise. What I can tell you is this hobby moves very slow and has lots of issues. Patience is what you need.

melvis

Did you buy the C130 new? If not, then the fans might be loud as they are getting old. You can buy replacements that should be the case.

Yes i did buy the tank from new, but strangely enough the brown rock remnance does not look that bad on the picture, i was thinking of getting a sand sifting goby which might help the situation, i am getting a couple of clowns and anemone this weekend.

melvis

I only ask, as sometimes old fans can become quiet loud, so I've read anyway.

Have you tried angling the powerheads to help better clear the detritus?

yes i have but what i find is that the sand seems to get blown all over the place taking it down to the gravel.

Not sure how to overcome this

melvis

Try bouncing the flow off of another wall so that the power isn't going direct to the gravel, if that makes sense.

I have tried bouncing it off of other walls but this still makes the sand go stupid until it gets to the gravel.

so i have got this horrible looking brown goo at the bottom on the sand the algae has more or less gone now which is good, hopefully it is just going through another stage. i get my clown fish this weekend but need to catch the 6 fish i have in there at the moment which is a bit of a joke because they are to fast, i need them out so that i can get other fish, they are only cronies but i only really want a couple in there max.

What is this coral? ? How do I look after it because one day it is happy then the next it does nothing. Fair play all corals have got personalities. Some don't care being moved others hate it.