Keeping Sand clean?

essmaker

PREMIUM
I have a CC covered with sand bottom, and I frequesntly have to stir up the sand due to a brown algea growing on it.

I just purchased a sand-sifting star to help with this.

After looking at the pictures of everyones nice white sand bottoms, I ask myself what am I doing wrong?

Any ideas?

Curtswearing

It sounds like a diatom bloom. This is very common in new tanks. How long has it been set up and did you use RO/DI water when you set up?

ReefLady

Staff member
There are other things that will help. A couple suggestions:

Nassarius Snails
Serpent Stars
Fighting/Queen Conchs
Cerith Snails
Hermits (Sorry wit :) )

General opinion is the sand-sifting star does a nice job of keeping the sand purty but wipes out your sand bed critters at the same time, in which case your sand bed doesn't function properly as a method of filtration.

Of course, you will hear mixed opinions on that but I would say the majority believe sand-sifting stars are not a good idea for a live sand bed.

T

Flipper

Sturgeon General
My key to keeping my sand perfect in my 55 is in how much I feed, I think. I definately don't do enough water changes. Nitrates are 25 ppm, phosphates I don't have a kit for, and my cleanup crew is minimal, with just a brittle star and 3 hermits (yes, three!). My sand is immaculate, and algae grows only slowly on my glass. The thing is, my fish are fed only 4 times a week. No one is starving or withering, and they've been on this feeding program for well over a year. I believe the amount of food introduced to a system make a big difference.

essmaker

PREMIUM
The tank has been setup for a year now. I only lately began using RO water for my water changes and replacement.

I have been trying to get somemore nassarius snails (no one seems to have any near me).

I think by using the RO water rather than treated tap, along wiht my new star things will begin to shape up.

I see there are some who don't like hermits. Whats the reason for this? aggresive to others?

EdgeKrusher

I've never had a problem with hermits, but I know they tend to fight over shells, I've seen this. Some people claim that they attack and kill snails for thier shells, but I figure if you go to a craft store and buy a bag of shells (which I did) and drop some empty ones in there, they wont fight or kill your snails. :D
The RO water will help with keeping your sand cleaner, there's alot of stuff in tap that isn't good for the tank. Obviously you know that cuz you just switched to RO.
Nassarius Snails I found where very hard to find, unless you want to pay $1.50 per snail and then deal with the shipping. I got lucky and a guy in my reef club here, ordered 50 and got 150 so he sold me 10 for $10, great deal. They are very fast, and burrow in the SB, when they "smell" food they pop out of the SB, and go straight at it. I don't think I would have a reef tank without them now, they are too fun to watch.

Curtswearing

I agree with all of the above. I also want to point out that I absolutely love my fighting conchs. I have 2 and they are amazing.

The nassarious snails are amazing and the cerith snails are good especially at keeping the glass clean at the sand line.

jks1

Curt stole my thunder, i also have 2 fighting conchs, i think they were about $6 apiece and were money well spent. Valencienna gobies (Valencienna puellaris and strigata) also do a pretty good job stirring up your sand bed and are interesting to watch.

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
I have a sleeper goby that sifts through the sand looking for worms and stuff ... benefit is that he also keeps the top layer very clean and white.

jimeluiz

Dare I say I have a Sand Sifting star. I've read all the warnings, debated with several LFS staff I admire and tried to calm my partner who insisted we get one to keep the sandbed white. The jury is still out for me. I have no problem understanding the logic of the star depleting the good critters in the sandbed, but I also notice that she really only travels around where she can lay totally flat and burrow in. That leaves A LOT of area where the sand surface is smaller than her body where she does not go grazing. Plus all the sand below the one inch or so she burrows down. Might the sand life live to breed another day in all the areas she does not reach and thus keep the filtration properties alive and kickin'? And she is not eating the bacteria...

I've told Luiz we may have to say goodbye to our cleanin' girl if she takes a big bite out of our filtration system, but like I said - the jury is out as yet.

Any thoughts? Be nice - I know I am swimming up stream on this one... :columbo:

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I would really work on getting RO/DI water...you want to make sure all the silicates are removed from it....I think you will see a big difference. How is the water flow in your tank?

Craig Manoukian

I use tap water. I have Cerith and Nassaurius snails. Red and Blue leg Hrmits. Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. A Yellow Coris wrasse and a Maroon Clown that love to tail the sand. An unkown number of spaghetti worms.

This group keeps my sand pretty clean along with not over feeding.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I also use tap water and besides a cyano outbreak early before my tank matured, I've never had a problem. A good clean up crew and I think excellent water flow so that detritus doesn't sit or build up will help also;)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have nassarius snail and 2 fighting conchs also but lately I'm seeing more algae growth :( I'm certain it's because of my increased feeding schedule for my copperband butterfly. I don't want to NOT feed it 2 x a day but the green algae is becoming a nuisance! This algae is hard to remove from the glass and it grows on my substrate too. I have lost a few astrea snails to the CB and I'm thinking that has affected the algae growth also.

I'd like to add more snails (or even a few hermit crabs?) :eek: but I'm afraid they'll introduce ich like the last shipment did :(.

SaltyQueen

I don't have this problem becuase I have a Tahitian Black Moon Sand substrate- I like the look of the black substrate, plus it hides the dirt! ;)