Kazzy's 46 bowfront

Kazzy

Cool, aqua! Maybe I've seen you and I didnt know it!
Anyways, I was just flipping through our journal we keep all our records in, and guess what I found out? We made a mistake in it and we've actually only had the tank for a year and 5 months. Just thought you guys might want to know LOL.

Kazzy

I might have seen you a long time ago there, because my dad and I used to go there, though we can't anymore because of the hours(he didn't own a car dealership back then).

framerguy

Beautiful tank Grant, I especially like the mandarin. You're pretty lucky, when most of us were your age this reef stuff was just a fantasy. Looks like you've done a great job!

Frankie

RS STAFF
OK, time for some boring tank info:
60-70 lbs of live rock.
Equipment:
AquaC Remora 75 gallon skimmer
Coralife PC 96 watt 10,000k white bulb and 96 watt actinic(not much lighting, I know)
3 1200 Maxijet, 1 400 Maxijet
Marineland Penguin 350 gallon filter
and 250 watt heater MAYBE(my dad is not sure)
Dimensions:
36.5" x 16.5" x 21"
I see your lighting is low and that could be contributing to the way your leather coral is acting. They need more light then that. Also how is you surface movement? It's hard to tell in the pictures.

Techno-Vicki

Floridas are very easy to frag. I frag my orange ones frequently. Only problem was when I first started and I had a smaller prop tank crash. I lost the frags then.

Kazzy

I see your lighting is low and that could be contributing to the way your leather coral is acting. They need more light then that. Also how is you surface movement? It's hard to tell in the pictures.
Well, we turned off the 300 pump blowing at it and we still have some pretty good surface movement. And we put the leather coral like 3 and a half inches from the top of the water level and the fixture is like an inch above the water. Enough to ensure that if I took a picture from the top it would be very blurry.
Vicki, would it be okay if we rubberbanded ricordea frags to a piece of rubble and put it in a low flow area?

Kazzy

Leather is perking up big time! The "fingers" are curving up and it looks much happier.

Kazzy

I am going to set up another timer so that we can finally have the actinics come on 2 hours before and after the main lights. I keep wanting to do it, but never get around to it so tonight or tomorrow night I will figure it out with my dad. And the dawn/dusk photoperiod might trigger the actual breeding in my clownfish. They always do the shaky thing and act like they're all ready to breed, but no eggs. My maroon(Bubbles) has gone through 3 sites and "cleaned" them all so I am hoping the dusk/dawn thing will work.

Kazzy

A good 2 months ago, my green open brain migrated off its base and hid underneath the rocks. After like 3 days, it started to move out from underneath, but stayed halfway hidden. Now after a long period of it just sitting there, it came out completely. It still hasn't finished growing a new base, and it floated around a little. My male Ocellaris seemed to like it and rubbed up against it. This actually kept it from floating out into free water. Is there a reason it did this? It settled back halfway underneath overnight. It looks very healthy and poofy, just it has no base. I have pictures of Mr. Stripes(My ocellaris) rubbing up against it while it was floating so I will upload those as soon as I can.

bluespotjawfish

Here is a pic of the ric basket I was telling you about. I have tried netting, superglue, and a rubberband on the one and it doesn't like any of that (keeps escaping). I am now using the basket and it is working well. The other one is still loosely rubberbanded inside the container and is doing ok that way too.

Attachments

• P1040099-ricbasket-sm.JPG
    P1040099-ricbasket-sm.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 46

vdituri

Hey Kazzy, I too just discovered your thread.
Great photos. What type of finger leather is that?
And what size is your tank. I don't think I saw that posted.
If you posted it and I didn't see it I'm sorry. lol

Kazzy

Thanks for all the compliments! Lorraine, thanks for the picture. If my dad will let me frag them then I may try it. Victor, all I know is that it is a lavender finger leather. I am sorry I can't be more help than that. And it is a 46 gallon bowfront, as said in the title.

Kazzy

I have devised a cunning plan to see if my peppermint shrimp will taste my aiptasia! I will tell you when I get back from lunch!