Kalkwasser

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
We've read many times the benefits of adding kalkwasser especially in regards of exporting PO4 thru precipitation.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible for the the precipitation that builds up on heaters, pumps, all over my sump...lol to become soluble if not removed ?

2. Also I have read that kalwasser can help the skimmer be more efficient because of (saponification), what exactly is that and does the kalk need to be dripped by the skimmer to make it more efficient ?

I don't know if ? # 1 makes sense if not I'll try to reword it :doh:

tatuvaaj

Robert,

The phosphate reduction in sea water by limewater hasn't been tested scientifically (as far as I know) but there are so many reefers that have observed this effect (myself included) that it is most likely happening.

The precipitate formed close to the limewater injection point will not dissolve back to the water, you must remove it with a help of acid.

Saponification means breaking up the fats and oils with a help of metallic alkali (like Ca(OH)2). I have no idea if this is happening in our aquariums, let's hope that Boomer will reply :thumbup:

I wouldn't add limewater directly to the skimmer as your skimmer and pump would probably be coated with calcium carbonate pretty fast.

ps. I'm a great fan of limewater, it's cheap and easy way to add balanced amount of calcium and alkalinity and it has measurable effect on PO4 concentration. :clink:

lcstorc

hmm thinking more and more about kalkwasser after this thread. May just have to add a reactor to "the list"
lol

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Here is an awesome link filled with TONS of 'precipitation' information!!
What is that Precipitation in my Reef???

Summary
Many precipitates are formed in the various processes that aquarists use to maintain reef aquaria. Some of these may be beneficial, such as the solid material that settles out of limewater, reducing the load of impurities it delivers to the aquarium. Others are neither beneficial nor detrimental, such as the initial cloudiness that forms when high pH additives are added to reef aquaria. Others are downright detrimental, such as solid calcium carbonate that can clog pumps. The information provided in this article should help aquarists understand what these are and why they form. Using that information, aquarists may be able to better maintain their reef aquaria without excessive worry over insignificant issues.
Happy Reefing!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The precipitate formed close to the limewater injection point will not dissolve back to the water, you must remove it with a help of acid.

Because evaporation has increased dramatically in the summetime I have this precipation everywhere including all around the surface of the tank, sump, ph's and it even froze my return pump impellar and eventually broke it. My concern is as I'm cleaning the precipitation around the rim of the tank it falls back into the tank but it appears it will do no harm.

I wouldn't add limewater directly to the skimmer as your skimmer and pump would probably be coated with calcium carbonate pretty fast.

I was not meaning into the skimmer but as close to the skimmer as possible is it more advantageous or irrelevant ?

tatuvaaj

cheeks69 said:
I was not meaning into the skimmer but as close to the skimmer as possible is it more advantageous or irrelevant ?
Irrelevant, IMHO. One could speculate about many minor effects (positive or negative) it could have in theory but IMHO those would not affect tank health in any way.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Boy am I late :lol:

let's hope that Boomer will reply.......is he dead or what

Also I have read that kalwasser can help the skimmer be more efficient because of (saponification),

Yes , if and only if it reacts with the kalk which \can and will happen to some degree. Rememberr kalk falls apart very fast in water to Ca++ and OH-

No not in the skimmer. My guess somewhere near the skimmer, where the flow is moderate. You would not want the flow to fast or dead. It needs time to react. To low a flow and the pH will get to high. To fast and you loose the time factor to react.

I do not have a clue what that would be. Each tank would be different.

It would be an intestesting article for Randy to do.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Boomer said:
Boy am I late :lol:

let's hope that Boomer will reply.......is he dead or what

Also I have read that kalwasser can help the skimmer be more efficient because of (saponification),

Yes , if and only if it reacts with the kalk which \can and will happen to some degree. Rememberr kalk falls apart very fast in water to Ca++ and OH-

No not in the skimmer. My guess somewhere near the skimmer, where the flow is moderate. You would not want the flow to fast or dead. It needs time to react. To low a flow and the pH will get to high. To fast and you loose the time factor to react.

I do not have a clue what that would be. Each tank would be different.

It would be an intestesting article for Randy to do.

I knew you'd weigh in eventually...ROTFL
I don't drip the kalk near the skimmer but have read that there's some benefits to do so, just don't remember exactly where I read this :confused:

Boomer

don't remember where I read this

I do Bob :D I found where you read it. It is on two places but not much other than what you said or I said.

So How does Bob find it

Google's search =============> saponification skimmerrs

Boomer

I forgot, then I have a magic browser. I type in saponification and it finds it anywhere on that web page. If it is not there is says it is not there. If it is there 50 times it shows me that and where