just brought my Copper Banded 'fly home

ZAPCOnj

How is your cbb doing today? When i brought mine home he (buddy) was pacing the tank for a few days. It's a sign of stress. He's in a new home and has been moved quite a bit in the past month or two (figure, from the sea to a tank. from that tank to a bag, from that bag to a plane then to another tank.. then to another bag to a box. then that bag/box to another tank then to a bag, then to your tank.)

the best thing to do is give him some "space" don't try to catch him and move him again. it will add more stress. It took about a week to get buddy to eat a "full meal" he would pick at the brine then not touch it he also did the peck and spit method trying to trick me in to thinking he was eating. I ended up switching to Hikari Mysis and he would also pick at it. I experimented with it a bit and used kent Garlic and he didn't touch it. I used Seachem Entice and he started eating more. then he stopped after a day. In the end what worked for me to get buddy to eat was..... Frozen Hikari Mysis Freshly thawed (as soon as the cube broke up, i waited a minute or two and added to the tank) no garlic, no food additives. nada.

after a few weeks of him eating the hikari mysis i started adding frozen Hikari spirilina brine to the mix and he started eating that.

NOTE: for a while he was eating all the tube worms in my tank (back glass and onthe rock) so his appetite was minimal for about a week or so.

he eventually stopped pacing the tank and now swims my rock work looking for worms, bits of food, and pods. He will NOT touch anything dried.

CBB's are very "gentle" fish. and do not tolerate a lot of fuss in the tank. Keep an eye on him and try not to be fishing in the tank all that much until he get's established. Try feeding a few times a day (just a little at a time but no more than the Full amount in a day.. example: if you feed 1 cube a day then feed that cube over the span of the day instead of all at once)

here is buddy about 3 weeks after getting him (got him on 12.07.08). he's searching for food in my tank
107544205.jpg

this is what my tank looks like now:
108290388.jpg

he does not bother my corals at all. he may peck at a zoa or the yellow polyps but at close observation he's plucking the mysis that landed there off the polyp.
he does pick "in between" the polyps, i would expect that he's trying to get at the pods in there.

Good luck with your CBB. Post some pics and your progress!

DStaelens

They are a challenge to get to eat. I've had mine about 6 weeks now. There's a couple of things that work with mine...

Clam on the half shell always works for my guy, most people suggest fresh water clams, but I cannot find them in my area. What I do is get the saltwater clams, freeze them for a few days, and then crack the shell open just big enough for him to get his beak in. If I open it all the way, my fox face and six line will barge in and eat it all.

After the clam is emptied, I start placing a little bit of frozen blood worms, and either frozen clams/mysis/ etc. in the shell, and cover with bridal vale rubber band to the shell so the copper band can get to it, but the other fish can't.

I'm trying something now on a tip I found on WetWebMedia about the cones used to feed blood worms to Discus in. I'm cutting a few larger notches in it so the CBB again has the advantage to feed from it, but not the others. It's my attempt to start getting him to feed from the water column instead of the shell. He's actually starting to get so used to me that I can hold the food and he starts coming near my hand, but not quite close enough to grab the food from my fingers. If I can get him to do that, then I can start releasing it into the water column so maybe he'll get the idea.

And a bonus, my wifes favorite yellow tang started stressing him too much, so we just HAD to get a new tank setup. MWAHHH HAAAHHH HAHAAA HAAAAH! My evil plan worked.

:clink:

Cheers,
Dave

Ahvrivera

Awesome CBB. ive had mine for 9 months now. has been great with eating and not picking at corals..................... well i picked up some xenias from The Hidden Reef yesterday and today there was a crime scene.:chomp: Also ate or tore up all the feather dusters on the rock also. Dont know what triggered him but he also picked at my pink zoas ive had for a while that she never touched.:cursin: I wish the best of luck to all. as my luck has ran out for me with the corals and my CBB. Going back to THe hidden reef today :cry1: Sure gonna miss Penny. my fav in the tank.

Not to make you panic or anything but do keep a close eye. maybe the movement of the xenias pulsating did it for my CBB. Thats my thoughts on that.

Best of luck!!!!!

Fish Crazy

Good luck with your CBB I have tried 2 of them and both died after 6 months eventhough eating well and no signs of stress - they are one of my favs but I'll not buy another one - hope you have better luck

degibson84

didn't eat again this morning. im going to try and find a clam but i dont think any stores around me have fresh clams.

is there anything else i could try???

jjohnson3

If the clam does not work try to get some live cleaner clams. Ive heard they will induce the fish to feed in captivity. Then you could slowly feed it frozen or flake. That might work.

DStaelens

Blood worms and glass worms soaked in garlic extreme may work, though I don't think glass worms (mosquito larvae) provide much in the way of nutrition. But if it can help trigger a feeding response it may be worth it. You can also try packing some food in an empty snail shell and leave next to where it hangs out in the tank to see if it picks at it. Mine seems to like to stick it's mouth in any sort of hole in rocks or shells it can find. I also found it will pick at caulerpa I grow in my refugium, but I think it's more the feather dusters that mix in with it he eats.
If you get a saltwater clam, just make sure you freeze it first and then thaw before introducing it into the tank. There's just always a small risk of introducing something the clam carries otherwise. (Just my opinion.)

Good luck!

DStaelens

Sorry about the blurriness, it's a shot from the side of the tank he lives on. I'm not wild about the piece of PVC there, but he seems far calmer living in it. And you can see the foxface swooping in to get his clam now that it has opened up a bit. The little shells under him are the empty snail shells we pack for him so that he can eat on his own.

DSCN0738.jpg

degibson84

If the clam does not work try to get some live cleaner clams. Ive heard they will induce the fish to feed in captivity. Then you could slowly feed it frozen or flake. That might work.

i have never seen or even heard of a cleaner clam and would have no idea where to get one.

im going to try what ZAPCOnj suggested with the Hikari and then go to the store in the morning and try finding a clam if he dosen't take that

degibson84

since he hasn't touched anyting that i have tried to feed him i found a top neck clam today at the grocery store i am going to freeze it and then thaw it tomorrow afternoon and to to feed him.

degibson84

OK the lights are on now and he is scratching himself off of the rocks which leads me to belive it is ich. i started treating with kick ich.

he does seem more interested in the tank today swimming through the rock work. i think he may be picking at the rocks too but im not sure if he is eating anything off of the rocks or not

Paul B

does anyone know if butterflies need algae as well as tangs

Copperbands do not need or eat algae. They were made to eat worms, live blackworms are the best food for them

seafansar

My CBB loves mysis. I made a little box for him to eat them out of. He'll eat out of the water column, but it think it's more fun for him to try and get it out of the box.
P2140122.jpg

The picture only shows the top. I cut holes in the sides, so he could fit his nose into them. I had to add small rocks to it so it would sink. It's made out of zip ties, string, and plastic stuff you can find in the arts and crafts section for making designs with yarn.

Good luck with your CBB.

ZAPCOnj

by the way. how long has your tank been up and running? do you have a pod population in there? do you have any worms in there? the little white squigglies that look like icream swirls on the glass and rock?

when my cbb first was introduced in to my tank he had a rampage on the worms on my glass and rock then moved to my pods. that was a contributing factor as to why he wasn't eating the frozen foods i was giving him. Once that supply ran out he started to nibble on the frozen then full blown eating frenzy.

keep us posted. I know what it's like to try and get the little buggers to eat. it's frustrating.

degibson84

by the way. how long has your tank been up and running? do you have a pod population in there? do you have any worms in there? the little white squigglies that look like icream swirls on the glass and rock?

when my cbb first was introduced in to my tank he had a rampage on the worms on my glass and rock then moved to my pods. that was a contributing factor as to why he wasn't eating the frozen foods i was giving him. Once that supply ran out he started to nibble on the frozen then full blown eating frenzy.

keep us posted. I know what it's like to try and get the little buggers to eat. it's frustrating.

tank has been setup for about 3-4 years. i do have some bristle worms and some other worms that come out at night.not sure about the pod population but i just order 2 4oz bottles of some more today just incase it is depleated from my blenny