Judge my Rics!

Jess

Ok just wanted to know how you all think my Rics are doing. I've had them for just under two months and since I have no previous experience with them......do they look like they're doing good? Do you think I should move them up closer to the light? I guess I'm wondering if they should be growing more than they are. I don't think they're getting any bigger, is this normal? Look here for my original post, which shows what they looked like the day I got them. The zoas that came with them definitely don't look as colorful to me.

Taken yesterday: (the rics look ok to me but what do I know!)

0721091614.jpg

acemow

Yeah, looks good. Mine have been in since 5/10/09 and don't look a whole lot bigger. I've read that they are slow growers but as long as they are colorful and "poofy", I think they're good.

jcgardner

They look good, but the green doesn't look as bright compared to your earlier picture. But they may just be me. Hopefully someone else will chime in with their opinion.

jgking21

Looking good to me! From my small experience with them, they won't grow alot, but look for new mouths to form. After that they will split and create new ones. If the rock is easily moveable, then you may try different placements around the tank until your happy with them.

Jess

Ya, I've never been one to add anything to my tank, but in reading on RS, apparently Iodine is helpful to Rics?

Thanks for your responses!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ya, I've never been one to add anything to my tank, but in reading on RS, apparently Iodine is helpful to Rics?

Thanks for your responses!

Huh? IODINE isn't something you want to "experiment" with. The JURY is still out as to what compound of Iodine can even be USED by coral let alone which ones can benefit from the addition of it. IMHO it's WAY to much of a gamble to even consider. If you aren't testing for it (and most hobbyist kits aren't even close to accurate enough to test it) then you shouldn't dose for it. IODINE is best used to treat new/damaged coral and fish.

I think your rics look very good. They may be losing some color due to light intensity (just a guess and nothing more) or they may have been "pushed" in their previous tank with some high "K" MH bulb. You bought these off of a local reefer didn't you? what type of light did he have them under?

I think they look GREAT and if you want to donate them to the "BigAl" fund I'll be GRATEFUL to ya :)

Jess

Huh? IODINE isn't something you want to "experiment" with. The JURY is still out as to what compound of Iodine can even be USED by coral let alone which ones can benefit from the addition of it. IMHO it's WAY to much of a gamble to even consider. If you aren't testing for it (and most hobbyist kits aren't even close to accurate enough to test it) then you shouldn't dose for it. IODINE is best used to treat new/damaged coral and fish.

Hey don't you HUH me!!!! I got that bit of info from this post right under mine!!!! Was just an observation geeeeeez ALLEN!!! :D

Ok but really, thanks for the info. Yes I did get the Rics off of Craigslist...they were in a RSM. Not sure if stock lighting or not. Here's a link to his tank. Anyhoo, to me they look good, but was just wondering if the growth rate should be alot better than it is. I guess I'll stop worrying! But I've always read that after acclimating them to the light in their new home, to then move them up higher towards the light. But you're saying maybe they're getting too much light? Never heard that of a stock Nano before!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hey don't you HUH me!!!! I got that bit of info from this post right under mine!!!! Was just an observation geeeeeez ALLEN!!! :D...

LOL! I posted over there too and even linked back to here :)

Yeah "Huh" was for you :) I should have put it like this

*In a Fatherly voice* HUH?

Anyhoo, to me they look good, but was just wondering if the growth rate should be alot better than it is. I guess I'll stop worrying! But I've always read that after acclimating them to the light in their new home, to then move them up higher towards the light. But you're saying maybe they're getting too much light? Never heard that of a stock Nano before!

No I wouldn't say that with stock Nano lighting would be too much unless they came from a fairly dark tank or it had old bulbs. All just guessing at the best.

I've got some rics that have hardly grown in 6 months or more but they've produced babies. Go figure.

Regardless yours look VERY good and colorful (almost like Dipping Dots).

:D Now back to work for you :)

seafansar

Calm down you two!!!

Oh and as for the rics, they're goners fo sho. Might as well send them to me. They'll do much better in my tank!