JJ's Photography Showcase

modulok

Three macro shots of corals received on July 6, 2012.
2204.jpeg

2203.jpeg

2200.jpeg

modulok

Thanks. I think I had an out of body experience this weekend...I am still surprised how these look.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Yo, Mod? What's this one, and what's the skeleton color on it? I think that this might be a Birds of Paradise, or at least coloring up to one, confirming what I'm thinking about JJ's Tricolor BN. :D

2203.jpeg

modulok

Yo, Mod? What's this one, and what's the skeleton color on it? I think that this might be a Birds of Paradise, or at least coloring up to one, confirming what I'm thinking about JJ's Tricolor BN. :D]

Not sure what you are asking...it's a Bird's Nest I got from Jared around 4th of July. Maybe he can give a correct answer. A $10 frag if I remember right.

Funlad3

Sorry, I'm known to be unclear on this. I beleive that that birdsnest was one of his $10 Tri-Colors, right? I ask, because it looks like the polyps are coloring up to purple, and the skeleton to green. If it is, that would prove my suspicion that JJ's Tricolor is actually a different type of birdsnest altogether, a Birds of Paradise, a rather high end coral. My question was what colors does the coral show in person; neon green and purple? If so, it's a BOP, and JJ hooked you up even better than even he thought, even. :D

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I don't care what you call it, it grows like wildfire for me. If it's high end so be it, it will still be around a $15 frag from me. I fragged some more of it this Saturday and made another 20 some frags, and had to put 2 of the old frags in my DT because they got so big and I didn't feel like fragging more.

Funlad3

That's exactly my point, you have so much great stuff, you don't even know, or, most importantly, care, what the high end stuff is anymore. I'm tired of wanting a "named" coral and finding out that it's $100 for an inch when people like you have the same thing, minus the name, for cheaper.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Ben I'd be happy so sell you a piece for $100, but it's gonna be a lot bigger than an inch.

Names mean very little to me, what is in a name? I've seen coral sell for crazy $$ when I've got the same darn coral at 1/10 of the price and mine wasn't fragged yesterday. I also grow much of what I sell. Yeah I still bring new stuff in for diversity but you'd be surprised what I've got that I grow in house just like that birdsnest as well as the pink birdsnest.

Funlad3

I do understand why people get mad when people call a coral by a name that it isn't, but only resembles, but I don't understand why they refuse to pay anything other than big bucks for a coral that is clearly the same is something much cheaper.

JJ, one of the birdsnests that Matt hooked me up with was one of your tricolors; it is one of the fastest growers in my tank. :)

modulok

Yeah, the tips of the polyps are purple-ish. The hard coral is kinda off white, and when the polyps retract the little dots are light brown.

I have heard that Bird's Nest coral is a tough to keep coral, but for $10 I was ok with the gamble. So far it's looking good so many tiny polyps are out. I will get some other pics soon, and not just with a macro lens.