JBJ Nano Cube Advice

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Grymatta:

It is silent and I know of a lot of people who use aquaclear. It is a pretty small unit, but like I said you may get it in there. I will do this - when I am in my lfs next which could be as early as today. I will take a look for you and take a pic if I can.

Water flow is just how often your water is turning over or circulating in your tank. At 250 gph it would be turning over 20 times in an hour (this is very good flow). To calculate it you take the gph and divide it by the size of the tank. In this case 250 divided by 12 = 20 or in other words the water circulates 20 times in one hour. I hope that clears this up for you.

Cheers!

Grymatta

cool thanks Rougiem!

I'm gonna go to my LFS and take a look too to see if they carry that model. So if i do get that powerhead..I should use it in addition to the stock pump that came with my cube right? Just install the powerhead on the left side compartment area?

Isnt 250 gph too much current? The recommended formula is 10x turnover rate which equals 120 gph for my 12 gallon right?
thanks!

Sirena

Hi! I have a 12g Deluxe Nano, I started it in April.
When I started it, it had uncured rock, live sand and the cycle took a month.
It evaporates very little water and since then I did just one water change.
Regular water checks is a must.
10 crabs and 10 snails is enough to keep it clean from the regular algaes.

What I noticed is that the water temp. can change really fast, so a steady room temperature is important for this tank size.
My apartment is quite small, so if the weather outside is normal then the room temp. at 75 degrees is fair enough, but if it is really sunny and hot outside then 75 is not enough and when I get home the water sometimes 5 degree higher. Then again if it rains that day , the water gets quite cold =[ it goes some 5 to 7 degres lower.
So I change the tank to a different spot in my apartment and problem solved.
But it is a great and fun tank.
=]

Sirena

I will post one of mine, at the moment I am traveling and can't post one of mine aquarium =[. I am in Holland right now, be back home in October.

nanoreefer2k3

I have a 12G deluxe jbj that has moved across country with me and aside from lighting issues and filtration i love it. I modified mine so that the rear filtration is now a refugium/filter and have added a powersweep powerhead to give memore "natural" flow and movement. I haven't been able to take any pics since the modification but can say that the mods have drastically reduce nitrites and nitrates in the system as well as improved the overall parameters and stability. As far as maintenance being high I found that once I did away with the stock filtration and switched to the more natural refugium/filter the maintenance I have to do is only occasional water changes and regular topoffs I am going to be improving the lighting more as I have time and money. My best suggestion is to decide what you want do lots of research and enjoy it:)

Craig Manoukian

Sirena said:
I will post one of mine, at the moment I am traveling and can't post one of mine aquarium =[. I am in Holland right now, be back home in October.

How about a picture of you over in Holland, eh? Have a safe trip!

Newt

If you are looking to do any mods for your nanocube I would recommend looking at NanoCustoms.com. The guy who started the site designs custom cubes, and also all sorts of mods for them. Check it out, it might give you some ideas, or if you have any ?s he may be able to help you out. He's located on the nano-reef.com forums.

I was planning on setting up a nanocube in my bedroom, and may retrofit some more wattage under the hood. If I start my project soon you can expect to see a chronicle.

Let us know how the project goes.

Grymatta

Nanoreefer...

I'm curious as to what you put in your other 2 compartments. You say your third compartment is the refugium? Is that where your powerhead is located too?

thanks

gussy

I have both the 12G Deluxe and 24G. I replaced the pump on the 12G with something better and on 24G I added a small pump. For some strange reasons, the 24G is cursed as I've had 3 wipeouts in 9 months.

bam20747

hi i have a 12g nano dx, i replaced the factory pump with a mini-jet 606 the factory one keeps the tank very warm, and is rather noisy. then i added a small 146gph inside the tank. i have had mine for about 2 months, it cycled in only two weeks i used live rock instead of a fish. i kept the lights off until the tank had fully cycled and i did not get a algae bloom until i added the cleanup crew and started leaving the lights on for 12 hours. but the clean up crew soon took care of it, 10 blue leg hermits, 5 scarlet hermits, 10 turbo snails and 5 astrea snails, a emerald crab and 2 peppermint shrimp.
after two weeks i added two small tomato clowns. just do weekly water changes of 1 or 2 gallons u will be alright.

forestal

i have no true opinion but wanted to put it out there that on nano-reef.com there is thread where lots of people have reported problems with cracking of the tanks and such.
this stopped me from getting one off the bat...that and my seahorses decided to breed. so i am focusing on raising fry and not setting up a nano :()
anyway.. i like the look of the tanks, but wanted to put out what i saw

dobejazz

It is a definite problem with the cracking My tank recently developed a small stress crack on the rounded corner I have contacted JBJ and they are replacing the tank after I send in the receipt and a picture of the tank
The 2006 models are being made with thicker glass so hopefully It won't continue to be an issue. I really do like the look of the tank

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Oh my! Will they replace the tanks? That seems like a definate manufacturer problem! What a shame too... those are nice aquariums...