James's RSM 130

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I didn't get it either. Thanks for sharing pics.

..........rarely am I speechless

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I agree... the spirit of RS is to offer helpful encouraging suggestions so new members can have saltwater reefing success and we can all learn from one another and become better reef keepers - RS was created to be a Sanctuary of Reef forums, unlike some others forums.

From my posts, do you guys think I could possibly be doing something wrong? I tried to be patient and only add things when success was very likely. I do bi-weekly water changes, and I test my chems regularly. I always do plenty of research and ask lots of questions when I want to add something to the tank. It isn't the most mature tank in the world, but it is only 6 months old. What do you guys think? Can anybody think of something that I could be doing wrong from my other posts? I do not mind suggestions. I just don't like the criticism without an explanation.

mattreidy

The only thing I can think of was your mention of "one of them died before I could get them out" and the sick anemone... :dunno:
I'd ignore it and move on - your tank is looking really good and I'm sure everyone in it is as happy as can be. :hug1:

youngnemo

I have made it to this point with only a handful of deaths in my tank.

Respect for nature is the keyword! In my opinion it is very sad how some people handle this hobby. For me there is no difference whether it is a fish or a dog.
Before one buys a fish, you have to inform yourself first. What is the final size of the fish? Is my waterquality good enough? When a fish dies, hardly anyone looks for reasons. Many blame it on the lfs and I buy quick replacement. But perhaps you're right. It's just a fish...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Youngnemo - let me make sure I got this right, from his statement you quoted - you have summarized - he does not have respect for nature, it's sad how he handles the hobby, he did not inform his self before starting the hobby, he does not look for answers to problems, he does blame it on others & he does not care when his fish die, because it's just a fish.

If this is the standard, I am sure this would apply to lots of RS members & your goal is to tell them this so they will not lose fish & start having respect....

Can I offer you some advise, help educate & encourage people in a way that produces results & accomplishes better husbandry. I have been doing it for years with 10 of thousand of post with great results as have many RS members, we consider helping members a service to the hobby and as fun as having a tank.

I try to always be positive and encourage... I was hoping you would get the hint from my post above.

Criticizing / Flaming is how some "other" reefing forums help people, but not here, here it leads to a permanent ban and is not tolerated. I have no problem with anyone saying there a better way, as example many lfs suggest cycling a tank with a "cheap fish", which kills many & damages them permanently when it does not kill them, where a deli shrimp works just as well, I have told this to countless RS members, but there a better way to do it, please consider this, if results are your goal.

Sincerely - RS Staff

steved13

PREMIUM
+1 well said Glenn!

I went and looked at all of jroberts' posts. Other than cycling the tank with fish, and adding nems a bit faster than recommended (2 common errors) I see nothing to justify the statments above.

youngnemo, good advice from Glenn, keep it positive.

Snails via snail mail! Just got my new quick crew from reefcleaners.org today. My first marine aquarium addition from an online purchase.

Kevz71

Looks like a nice clean tank to me sound like you'r off to a great start. Keep up the good work. I agree with everything u got going fish, clean up crew. We all have to start somewhere and when I started I had no one!! Thank god for books and google lol. It takes time and practice and a few tricks and learning curves to get good at it, and hey I learn something new everyday and sites like this with people that's been in the trade for years or great for help when u need it , I find myself trying to talk people into getting a tank even when they know nothing about it because it can be fun, and u got a buddy to trade stuff with ;) lol.

For some reason, photobucket is not uploading my pictures right now. I will post some more pictures whenever photobucket starts working.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hey James - tried to take a look at your photobucket account - but you have permissions turned on - hopefully if it's a photobucket problem, they will get it fixed soon -

Forbidden-You don't have permission to access /albums/o539/jway2007/ on this server
1183.gif

Pictures of various snails I received in the mail yesterday.

b946c749.jpg

7fb0a220.jpg

8bb1bf47.jpg

d0eb2d89.jpg

336dc4d5.jpg

I noticed several barnacles on one of the snails in the last picture in this post. I guess they are neither good nor bad. Couldn't find much info on them.

The Nassarius snails went right to work cleaning algae so it was more difficult to locate them when I was taking pictures, but there are several of those in the mix too. Many of the snails are still dormant. I also noticed at least 2 hermits in the mix, one of which is a blue legged hermit. Guess it would be easy to scoop some of those guys with snails.