James's RSM 130

I started my first saltwater aquarium six months ago. I had always been interested in saltwater aquariums, but I never made the plunge until I found a RSM 130 on Craigslist for 300 bucks with the starter kit. The guy lived 20-30 minutes from me. He bought the RSM at the LFS brand new. He filled it with water, but he expected his family to help stock it. Luckily for me, they did not have the same idea. He got frustrated and sold it in nearly new condition. I made the trip and checked it out. Thankfully there was absolutely nothing missing and nothing wrong with anything. The entire starter kit was intact as well. I read a lot about starting an aquarium from Saltwater Aquariums, About Saltwater Aquarium fish, Reef Tanks, Saltwater, Marine Fish, Corals, Invertebrates marine saltwater aquarium fish, and my LFS was very good with advice. I have made it to this point with only a handful of deaths in my tank. This hobby, although expensive (especially for a medical student), is awesome! I am sure I will be forever hooked. Although the RSM 130 has some areas that could use some improvement, I have been overall satisfied with it as my first tank. Heck, I might even stick with them when I upgrade. I will post pictures of my tank in chronological order as best I can.

These were my first fish. Needless to say, damsels do not really like their bros, so one of them died before I could get them out. I used these guys to help cycle the tank. I used the water bottle trap to get the remaining guy out of my tank so I could get some more peaceful tank creatures.

e98bf26d.jpg

This anemone was a gift from my sister-in-law and her boyfriend. Little did they know, the anemone was not healthy when they bought him at the LFS. The LFS didn't mislead them though. They sold it to them at a discounted rate.

dfb287d1.jpg

Unfortunately this clown didn't make it. I named him Omen, and he turned out to be a bad one. My tank was stable at this point (just about 2 months ago), but this guy seemed freaked out the whole time. I tested chems before I added him and after he died. I could not identify the cause. My new yellow-stripe maroon has done very well since I got him.

2dea3221.jpg

I rearranged my tank about a month ago to have better access to the glass for cleaning and to get a more compact feel. The very white rock is brand new dry rock.

5a48495a.jpg

My original anemone (which I could use some help IDing if you have an idea) looking a bit healthier in my opinion. He is getting his color back, and I got him a friend, a porcelain anemone crab. He did get quite a bit smaller though.

762f07ba.jpg

My new RBTA scaring the crap out of me the first day he was in my tank. False alarm though. I guess he was just relieving himself or something.

842bb947.jpg

This is what the RBTA looks like most of the time. Got it with a yellow stripe maroon clown for buy one get one half off sale at local LFS.

a9630ef3.jpg

This is the best picture I could get of my six-line wrasse. I have had him since I traded in my original damsel. I think he is nearly 5 months old now. He does not make it easy for me to get a picture of him.

ae08f3bd.jpg

My new star polyp frag. I wanted some type of dynamic coral that doesn't just sit there. I know these things grow fast, but I personally cannot wait for it to get a little bigger and start flowing in the current.

234a6699.jpg

I got a new daisy polyp frag and what I think is pocillopora frag today. Let me know what you think the coral is in this picture.

670d0155.jpg

I also got a zoanthid frag last week. It is somewhat visible near the left edge of the side tank shot. I will take a new full tank shot in a couple days if not tomorrow. I am excited for all my new coral to grow bigger!

The things I have in my tank that aren't necessarily in clear view in the pictures: several turbo snails, nearly 10 hermit crabs, a skunk cleaner shrimp, a tiger pistol shrimp, and a yellow watchman goby. I also have some button polyp hitchhikers from my first live rock purchase.