I've been thinking

i was told by a friend of mine, and a reefer' to cut a peice of filter foam and tie it around the intake for the ph with a rubber band or somethin, made sense to me

sambrinar

i was told by a friend of mine, and a reefer' to cut a peice of filter foam and tie it around the intake for the ph with a rubber band or somethin, made sense to me

That would be great, but Koralias don't really have an intake, kinda all one unit..

That BTA is gorgeous, mine is open like a sunflower, not sure why, seems happy, stayed where I put it and eating.. sooo.. I just need the clowns to find it..

Miltonic

Thanks mine can't open very well since well they each only have half a mouth still but I saw my anemone pooping today and it also expelled all its waste it seriously shrunk down so much it was unreal. After I got home from work today it was expanded bigger than ever, it looks settled and it hasn't moved from that spot so im happy. I haven't fed either nem yet since they are still healing so I have to wait a bit. Edit: I also wonder when my clowns will notic either of the nems they have two to choose from so I hope they pick one.

Last edited:

Gyr

Miltonic,
Nice RBTA(s). Great color and bubbling action. Bonus about the split!
I have a nice RBTA myself. It hasn't moved after the second day in my tank, but I keep my Koralia covered with filter mesh zip-tied around the barrel/intake area. Safe, I am sure, but the zip ties are white and kind of ugly. I have been thinking about just buying a black pair of nylons, cutting off a short section and sliding it over the Koralia. I imagine it'll stay in place well and should prevent tragedy should my nem decide to move one day.
I had asked about the use of nylon in a reef tank in the past (for an unrelated use), and the general consensus from RS responders was that use of nylon stockings was 'reef tank safe'. Next time I have to run to the market to pick up some feminine products for my wife, I'll throw a pair of black nylons in the cart--minimize domestic-shopping-embarrassment exposure that way.
Has anyone else used nylons for this? Did it work out well?
Kurt

Miltonic

Thanks and I haven't tried nylons before it sounds like it's a good idea and I don't see how they could be dagerous for the tank.

tektite

Maybe try some tulle from a fabric store around the Koralias? I would think that nylon stockings would get full of little particles really fast and stop water passing through.

Miltonic

So I decided to rearrange some rock work and in the process I got rbta2 out of the back since I could barely see it, it was nice to find out its attached to a small rock and that made it a lot easier to find a better location for it. Its a lot smaller than rbta1 and very cute lol

100_3513.jpg

sambrinar

it sure is purdy.. is it eating yet?? I wouldn't use the nylons, it would obstruct the flow of the PH. I used nylon net from a bag of oranges (not sure if I posted that already, it is orange and doesn't stand out too much. I thought about tulle as well

Miltonic

I didn't try feeding it again today since it totally passed my mind, I shall try again next week. I also caught my rbta1 pooping today and deflated till I could barely see it. I also haven't covered my PHs yet I keep forgetting to get oranges since you did mention about the net earlier, the nems pretty far from the PHs anyway so im not too worried.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
If your PHs are high enough and away from close rocks, even the most adventurous of anemones would take awhile to get close enough to them by climbing the wall - giving you enough time during his adventure to intercept. Although if he did decide to climb your walls, chances are there's an issue with either lighting or water parameters that would cause him to move that much.

I lucked out with my last anemone and he sat right where I placed him from day one. They are very very cool - hope you like him

Anemones can climb the wall amazingly fast while you are at work or asleep. I have seen more than one BTA die in a PH or overflow at the top of the tank. Don't assume you can catch it first.

Sapphire

it doesn't take long for them to move - and you can be sure it will happen when you aren't wathcing!!

robsreef

Good luck with the rose! I love 'em! I have 2, along with a freaky olive green bubble, one large white and one large green bubble, a Haitian pinktip, a small yellow carpet, a small orange tube, and an Atlantic flower ~ They all pretty much stay put! If you have sufficient rock , place them in a low to moderate flow area and keep them fed ( I feed silverside pieces once weekly, or mysis shrimp when I target feed my lps corals) they won't have the need to move about much or at all. In the case of the bubbles, they also keep that nice tight rounded bubble look. (If they get hungry, they extend and get "stringy" tentacles). If it's a light colored anemone, try to leave out the silversides' entrails. With regular use they can stain it a brownish color from the inside. Remember ~ if it has a mouth it needs to be fed!

Miltonic

yep I have been feeding it silversides weekly since I got them and are doing great so far. What are the entrails btw?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
should always feed an anemone the entire animal. they get necessary minerals from internal organs. the brownish color is a good thing

entrails are the digestive tract - stomach, intestines btw

robsreef

Yes - I believe the same, just not all of the time. Anemones do not eat whole fish all of the time. Of course their diet varies greatly in nature. Also, judging from the size that rose appears to be, pieces of silversides are more realistic than a whole one. Sure ~ give it some "guts" now and again! But if you want to keep that vibrant color bright, alternate the gut pieces with meaty pieces and other reef fare. Just my opinion and a time proven suggestion... Think I'm gonna grab a third one this week! If you like rose bubble anemones ~ you should try a metallic red bubble mushroom ~ nice!!!

Gyr

Hey, I finally got around to trying the nylon stocking over my Koralia and it works great. Others had cautioned it might decrease the flow, and they were right, it does seem to cut the output a bit, but for my tank, that was a good thing. The Koralia 4 I have is positioned low in the tank to cause a plenum-type effect and it was just blasting too hard (blowing the coral rubble bed around) and I had put a rock in front of it to partially deflect the flow. With the nylon over the unit it still puts out plenty flow, but doesn't blast fish and rubble around. The nylon has stayed put by itself and is easy to remove and replace for cleaning. I am confident my RBTA could snuggle up right next to it and not get injured, and by using a black nylon it really blends in well with the background of my aquascape.
So, if losing an anemone to a Koralia is a concern, and you are willing to sacrifice a small amount of flow output, give a nylon stocking a try.
Kurt