I've been thinking

Miltonic

My tank is approaching the 6 month mark and I was thinking about getting an rbta but I would like to hear some opinions first. The tank has been very stable for months I went through the typical algae stages and now everything seems to be thriving. For my lighting I have 8x54w T5 HO so that should be sufficient lighting. What im really worried about is the anemone moving and stinging some corals in the way so that makes me a little iffy about it.

bandr1002

i purchased my first rbta a few months ago. i have a 75 gallon with 6 at 54 watt t5 lighting. mine was purchased after the tank was fully stocked and i have not lost any corals as of yet (knock on wood). i was told by many to place it in an area of moderate flow for less chance of it moving. i did this and it has stayed put. i would say go for it. others may say don't, it is all a matter of personal opinion. would i be upset at losing some coral..... yes. would i get rid of the rbta...... not a chance. i love myne! hope this helps you in your desicion.

BLAKEJOHN

If everything has been stable and a nem is what you really want then go for it. Just be aware that regardless of where you put it it may move elsewhere. They will move to where they are compfy, regardless how you feel about it.

Mine never moved for 8 months then it split and the clone just couldn't stay still and met my powerhead (what a mess).

squidy

Hey Blake. When a nem find a powerhead, do they nuke your tank? I have 2 nems and so far they have stayed put. Just wondering though...

Miltonic

Thanks for the replies guys and yeah I've decided to go with the nem, hopefully it will stay put and not meet with one of my powerheads or my corals.

Witfull

PH and nems do not mix....it will be ugly and could cause serious issues. plz describe PH placement, type of PH, and space around PH. there are ways to build protection around the PH.

lcstorc

Absolutely protect the nem from the power heads. I have seen some litterally get shreaded.
Most power heads are easy to protect.

Sup Lynn!

Umm, yes anemones have the ability to nuke your tank. One thing that will help you tremendously if one of these creatures has an unsightful encounter with a powerhead is your skimmer!

If the anemone is releasing toxins your skimmer will be the first sign that something is wrong as the collection cup will be completely filled with a foamy substance. The anemone I have now actually got stuck on the powerhead that feeds my CPR HOB skimmer. I have since removed it and the anemone is doing great. :sinking:

Miltonic

I think my PH won't cause a problem they are koralias and they are placed on each side and k1 in the center, unless the anemone really decides to move far off from where im thinking of placing it should be ok.

Last edited:

fivel

If your PHs are high enough and away from close rocks, even the most adventurous of anemones would take awhile to get close enough to them by climbing the wall - giving you enough time during his adventure to intercept. Although if he did decide to climb your walls, chances are there's an issue with either lighting or water parameters that would cause him to move that much.

I lucked out with my last anemone and he sat right where I placed him from day one. They are very very cool - hope you like him

Miltonic

yep im really excited It should be arriving here tomorrow, I ordered from Blue Zoo Aquatics since the anemones I've seen at my LFS don't look very healthy and hopefully I get a good one from there. I've been reading about them for a few hours now so I think im ready!

BLAKEJOHN

I think my PH won't cause a problem they are koralias and they are placed on each side and k1 in the center, unless the anemone really decides to move far off from where im thinking of placing it should be ok.

Korilias are what I have. I thought the same that it would be hard to get sucked in through the small slats. The first time it just got its tenecals pulled up it to it. No biggie pulled the tenecals out and shut the PH off till the nem was cear of it. It when into the back of the rocks and I thought that it would stay there till it healed, I was wrong. I turned the PH back on and the next morning there was tenecals and chunks all over the tank and no recongnizable nem to be found ( of course a 50% water change was done as a precautionary measure). Water seemed to stay stable and skimmer never went crazy. I am sure I never got all the pieces out. I think it was pretty much blended....

Miltonic

wow that sucks good thing your tank didn't get nuked and it didnt worse other than having a dead nem. I definitely don't want that to happen to mine having pieces of anemone all over my tank isn't what I want to get from my first nem experience, hopefully mine will won't move very far from where i placed it since where it is now its safe from my powerheads, anyway here a couple of pics.
during acclimation
nemaccli.jpg

This after I put it in my tank this morning it had some crap coming out of its mouth that came off after a bit and now it has decided to move behind a rock I can still sort of see it but not well to take a better pic. :/
intanknem.jpg

Miltonic

Thanks and hopefully It will look like that one day but last night I got a bit of a shock/scare from it and it was only it's first night in my tank. It was lights but I decided to go look at the nem before I went to sleep and there it was splitting! I have no idea what caused it maybe stress from the move/shipping? or because it liked my tank? well now I have two RBTA, well today they didnt show any weird signs of stress and are out and seems like they found a spot they like and filled their bubbles all day today looking amazing I may add.

here are some pics

while splitting, the other was under the rock.
100_3308.jpg

after it split, im glad it decided to move away from the torch coral earlier today.
100_3312.jpg

BLAKEJOHN

Well lucky you...Two for the price of one. Just be sure to keep a good eye on it (them). It is most likley is a stress induced spilt. Some food should be givin in a couple days

Miltonic

yep, I'll be keeping an eye on them will even try to feed my fish a little less to keep the water cleaner while they heal. I think its just crazy how I bought one and now I have two, I feel like I gained those hundred bucks back lol

here are some pics from this morning and they look great so far.
RBTA 1
rosebta1.jpg

RBTA 2
rosebta2.jpg

sambrinar

Beautiful nems! I covered my Koralias with the plastic/nylon net bag the oranges come in and a rubber band... and hoping that the BTA will be safe.. just a thought

Miltonic

Thanks for the tip, I will look for a nice batch of oranges to bring home just for the net and enjoy eating them while I enjoy keeping my nems safe. :)

here's another pic RBTA1 since its still on the move and it moved the the location I wanted to stay in the first place! I'm praying it stays there since its takes center stage and I can take good shots. ;) RBTA2 is still in the same spot and i've noticed is a bit smaller than RBTA1.

roseBTA.jpg

edit: I also have not been able to feed neither nem since they are still healing, so long should to I wait until I try?