Ity Bity

PootyTang

So I know this is kind of a weird question, and a very scientific one to be asking on a reef site, but does anyone know of any stains that are good for observing diatoms under a microscope? I've got the scope at home and I'll order the stain on eBay, but I have no idea which to use.
I thought it would be cool to get a pic through the microscope, probably a good way to win POTM don't u think? :)

Rhodes19

It it was bacteria I would say use a gram + or -. Maybe iodine. Can your microscope do dark field?

PootyTang

no, it can't do dark field (although that would be pretty cool), I'm beginning to think that might be the only decent way to see them though, since they're eukaryotic and have a silica shell, i don't know any stains that would penetrate that. I PMed heinze though, so we'll see

Rhodes19

no, it can't do dark field (although that would be pretty cool), I'm beginning to think that might be the only decent way to see them though, since they're eukaryotic and have a silica shell, i don't know any stains that would penetrate that. I PMed heinze though, so we'll see

Let us know what he has to say. You definitly have my interest. Might have to break out my scopes. :D