It's spring time, let's see some OT pics...

Kevin can you give us some details of your camera I'm looking for a new cam!And please let me know how much you did pay?TIA

VINA

PS Nice pics!

reefrunner

Contributing Member
The camera is a Fujifilm Finepix s7000
Max resolution is 12 mega pixels (interpolated) with 6.0 effective megapixels. It has macro which will focus as close as 10cm from the lens and super macro (locked at wide angle) which will focus as close as 1cm. Lowest ISO is 160 (in auto) and 200 (in manual). 6X optical zoom (F2.8 - F3.1 / F8), shoots in RAW (12 mp only), 12 mp fine, 12 mp normal, 6 mp normal, 3 mp normal, 2 mp normal and 1 mp normal. It has a manual focus/zoom ring (in auto focus it operates the zoom, in manual focus, that's how you focus it), The manual focus on this camera is pretty cool, there is a button you can push and it will auto focus and then you can fine tune with the focus ring, rather than a diopter type view finder it has an electronic viewfinder, when you look in the eye piece it is the same thing you see on the LCD display. It has a feature that will blow up the center of the display so you can confirm the focus, very handy, especially with manual focus. It accepts 2 manual white balance settings, and you can switch back and forth between the two, plus it has auto white balance and several scene type white balance settings. It has a hotshoe for an external flash, and will take just about any generic external flash. It has a pretty strong pop up flash as well. It has aperture priority mode, shutter priority mode, full auto, programed auto and full manual mode. The ergonomics of the camera are awesome, it has a comfortable feel to it and the buttons and dials are all in the right places for fast and easy use. If you have any kind of experience with digital photography and digicams with manual settings...the learning curve is pretty low. If not, this is a full manual cam that will seem overwhelming until you really start to play with it. It takes compact flash media and xD picture cards at the same time, when one fills p, you can switch to the other, or if your shooting something specific you can switch back and forth at will. It takes 4 AA batteries, 4 alkaline batteries come with the cam (if you get one, go ahead and buy a couple sets of NiMH batteries and charger), battery life is excellent. I've taken about 300 shots (no flash) on thie set of 2100 mAh NiMHs in the cam now and no low battery indicator yet. Great thing about these batteries, if you get in a pinch, you can find AA alkaline batteries anywhere. And Rayovac makes some 15 minute NiMH chargables ;)

You can find a full list of features here.

I bought mine from Butterflyphoto.com and paid 499.99 for it, +38.00 for 2 day shipping via fed ex (and there is a 100 dolar rebate from Fuji on this cam right now), your in Jersey, so I wouldn't pay the extra for 2 day, butterflyphoto is in NY and you would probably receive it in two days with regular delivery. Another god place to look is buydig.com.

Last edited:

ReefLady

Staff member
More Dianthus. More off-camera flash. Hence, more black backgrounds. :)

31-9782web-med.jpg

32-9785web-med.jpg

33-9787web-med.jpg

34-9791web-med.jpg

35-9805web-med.jpg

36-9807web-med.jpg

38-9809web-med.jpg

39-9812web-med.jpg

gumhead

I'm with RL on this one, there ain't no flowers out yet :p

It was opening day for little league today tho!
Lewie Tiant former Redsox pitcher threw out the first pitch. The weather was perfect for opening day!!

2Img0014_0046.jpg

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I cheated :D .. I took a picture of my kitchen boquet! I'm still learning this new camera so it's not as "macro" as I would have liked.

61Prettyflower.jpg

Cougra

I'm cheating a little and posting my favourite photo I took last spring since most of our flowers aren't out yet neither. It's a wild red trillium. I took it while experimenting with my mom's Nikon F80.

45trillium-med.JPG

Last edited:

drdrew

Travis:
can you explain the off camera flash/ black background comment?

how are you setting up the flash? what flash are you using?

and why are the backgrounds black? is it because of exposure of the non flashed area?

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I'm not travis, but the way I figure it, is the flash is off to the side pointed at the subject, and the background is totally underexposed, where as an on camera flash would illuminate the subject and whatever is directly behind it.

drdrew

makes sense.
do you need like a stand for the flash or is there some contraption
arm hanging off the camera?

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I'm not sure what Travis uses, (I remember him commenting once that his girlfriend has to run around holding the flash, maybe he has downgraded to a stand since...), but there are brackets that will attatch to your cam via the tripod mount that will get the flash off the cam and out to the side, there are also stands for strobes etc. FWIW, you could also put the cam on the tripod and hold the flash in your hand, held where you want and pointed in the direction you want. I would imagine you would also need a cord to conect your flash and your hotshoe. BTW, if you haven't gotten one for your cam yet, I just received a cable release for mine, and it is the greatest thing, I would imagine in the last method mentioned, it would make your life a whole lot easier.

drdrew

thanks.
yah i'm using a hack cable release ($1.00 at the dollar store for a cell phone hands free unit, the mute button focuses and releases shutter on the digital rebel) but i ordered an IR remote shutter.

looking into this flash thing...i suppose that or a good telephoto for wildlife shots are my next two purchases.....