ITHK's RSM 130

ithk21620

Well I have decided to build my sump. Here is a picture of the design, I must thank my friend Jeron for helping me with the design.
Sump.jpg

I ordered the Lifereef RSM overflow today along with the refugium light, pumps, media reactor, and all the other goodies I need. All the items should be here late next week and I plan on working on the build then.

I will post pictures as I go and of the final product once I get done.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice planning! I used to run a Simplicity reactor - it will take some space on one side for a small pump & short piece of tubing. Looks like a nice design. :)

ithk21620

I have my sump done, I forgot to take pictures of the process but here is the final product. I ended up making the baffles moveable by using the technique listed in this article: Pressure Lock Baffles
I also ordered a Magnavore Simplicity Chemical Reactor but I didnt like the size of it so I decided on a NextReef MR1 (Rated up to 250 gal) because I plan on building a large reef once I buy a new house. Replaced the Mag7 pump with a Mag5 because the Mag7 was LOUD!! Here are some updated picks with the Sump/Fuge and new corals :)

Full Tank Shot

IMG_2815.jpg

Close Ups

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

IMG_2825.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

New Sump

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

Life Reef Overflow with Hofer Gurgle Buster

IMG_2832.jpg

Water Return, I ran the return to about 2" off the bottom of the chamber of death so it keeps everything moving in the back and things dont settle

IMG_2833.jpg

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice tank and nice job on the sump! I'd seen that baffle technique before - great idea!

What's the coral in picture #3?

With your sump return so low in back did you drill a siphon break hole near the surface?

ithk21620

Great pictures, your system looks outstanding!
Thanks!

Nice tank and nice job on the sump! I'd seen that baffle technique before - great idea!

What's the coral in picture #3?

With your sump return so low in back did you drill a siphon break hole near the surface?
The coral in picture #3 is Cactus Coral, I went to a local reef club meeting and I picked up that nice size frag for $20, couldnt let it sit there for that!

I drilled a siphon break at the top, one problem I have been having is alot of floating particles but I think once it all gets stired up and calms down it will work great.

Great pics beautiful tank ! Very nice sump !!!

How your rockscape held together? Very pretty !

Believe it or not it is just sitting on each other, it is very stable. I was going to drill and rod it together but after playing with it I decided not to.

I am glad you like my tank, I have put alot of time in it since my sister passing and it means alot to me that you enjoy it as much as I do, I know she would.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Steve - thanks for the info. on the coral being a Cactus (Pavona). I had a neon green one once, but have never seen a red one till now - beautiful! The tank is a beauty too, and a credit to you and I'm sure your sister Shannon would agree!

ithk21620

Well I decided to go broke and I bought a 150 gal tank a week ago. It needs lots of TLC but thats what winter is for. I picked up a used tank, stand, canopy, and sump for $350. The sump has a built in skimmer and is pretty worthless so I am going to build a new 55 gal sump for the system. Also going to build a steel stand because I just dont trust that much money sitting on a couple 2x4's. For now I am planning on keeping my RSM 130 but that might change once the BIG tank is finished and I buy a new house (No Room in my current house) I will add a link to my signature for the new thread I am starting for the tank if you care to follow along.

Dweezil

Congratulations! You can always use the 130 for a frag tank, quarantine or fish only tank ;) many uses

audemars

I am sorry for the loss of your sister. Thats great that you have decided to dedicate the tank to her! I know she is smiling down on it ;)

The tank is great and welcome to RS! I was from the form you were but this place has such a great community feel and the people are just wonderful! If you look at doing a sump/fuge ask "ReefMack" because he know everything and has that set up on his 130.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Congratulations on the 150 gallon! Yes - if you start a thread on it please post it for us!

ithk21620

Well my Purple LTA is now bleached and I am not happy. I bought a different light setup to hopefully bring it back. It is eating great but lost its color so I am hoping some T5 HO will help. I wanted to geet a MH fixture but got a great deal on a T5 HO setup so I will try that first.

Redid the sump, the "Movable Baffle" idea is great but they tend to shift on you and mess everything up so I did the tried and true method of silicone. No other updates on the RSM. Still working on the 150 gal setup though.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I hope the new lights help the LTA. Thanks for the info. on the movable baffles technique being able to shift easily - I had always wondered if that could happen.