is this cyano ?

tmc

not sure because it does not just blow off rock like i thought cyano does. its actually is attached more like coraline but looks just like cyano. i am stumped. thanks for what ever help you can give me
tmc

p.s. this posting of pics is so great in getting help :thumbup:

Attachments

• aquarium 028.jpg
    aquarium 028.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 54
  • aquarium 029.jpg
    aquarium 029.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 53

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Cyno is a thick, soft mat of algae that can be blown off or brushed off easily. Yours doesn't sound like cyno but it sure does look like it. Try brushing it off with a toothbrush or bottle brush.

tmc

thanks woodstock, it does come off with a brush, guess it is cyno. i could always just blow it off with a turkey baster before. haven't had any for a while, if i brush it off and leave the lights out for a couple days do you see any problems with that. or any other suggestions.
thanks troy

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Okay. Make sure you remove the cyno from your tank and not just blow it to a different area. Keep in mind the cyno is loaded with po4 so everytime you remove it you are exporting po4. :)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
If it's cyano then I would check PO4 levels they're the probable cause.

Cyanobacteria thrive in low circulation, poorly aerated conditions. Hence the call for vigorous water movement and near-saturation levels of dissolved oxygen. Providing powerheads, small submersible pumps, mechanical aerators and directing discharges from outside filters and pumping mechanisms are the best way to accomplish optimized circulation and aeration. Direct these devices to eliminate stagnant areas....

Siphoning

The bulk of the colonies out. Not only does this work directly in removing the BGA, but something in the way of chemical self-destruction is often triggered in removing the cyanobacteria in this way. A small diameter rigid tube attached to a siphon hose works wonders.

Less Food:

Being careful to make especially major nutrients like nitrates and phosphates limited is important. Be on your guard against overstocking and overfeeding fishes and invertebrates. Also, very importantly, be wary of putting in too much in the way of chemical supplements and to a lesser extent, chemical food from your tapwater and synthetic salt mix.

Enhanced Filtration:

Better foam fractionators utilizing ozone, preserving and increasing redox potential will increase desirable photosynthetic life and decrease unwanted algal forms growth. Practical chemical filtration can be of service in the pre-emptive removal of chemical foods.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bluegralgae.htm

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Good cyno site: http://reefsources.itgo.com/features/articles/cyanora.html

In summary, there are several things that you can do to rid your tank of nuisance algae, and most of them are probably good ideas anyway. Listed below is a recap of those items:

Protein skimming
Maintenance animals
Increased flow
Feed lightly
Vacuum substrate or bottom
Harvest algae
Stop adding supplements
Regular water changes
Use RO/DI water
Top-off with Kalkwasser
Regular bulb changes

If you implement these things, you can say cyano-ra to nuisance algae.