Intended plumbing

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Plunmbing_Diagram.JPG

I have a question about the "salt mix tank"... are you planning on using that tank as your tank top-off or as an R/O resevoir to top off?

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
I've seen setups that have large salt mix tanks for water changes, but never directly plumbed to the main tank. You run a risk of dumping too much salt water in to your tank... that would be bad.

I would just leave it as an R/O top off instead... or like in my setup, I mix Kalkwasser with my R/O and replace my evaporation that way.

If you want to have a salt mix tank, I would have a seperate container for water changes whenever needed and not have it plumbed directly to the tank.

DaveK

Not a bad plan, except the baffles you show between the area marked sump and the skimmer should be between the skimmer and the return pump.

These baffles form a bubble trap to keep the pump from sucking up the micro-bubbles that the skimmer will produce.

Reefer_Dave

I have a question about the "salt mix tank"... are you planning on using that tank as your tank top-off or as an R/O resevoir to top off?

the salt mix tank is only for mixing then puming into the sump for WC

I've seen setups that have large salt mix tanks for water changes, but never directly plumbed to the main tank. You run a risk of dumping too much salt water in to your tank... that would be bad.

I would just leave it as an R/O top off instead... or like in my setup, I mix Kalkwasser with my R/O and replace my evaporation that way.

If you want to have a salt mix tank, I would have a seperate container for water changes whenever needed and not have it plumbed directly to the tank.

The salt mix tank only pumps to the sump

Not a bad plan, except the baffles you show between the area marked sump and the skimmer should be between the skimmer and the return pump.

These baffles form a bubble trap to keep the pump from sucking up the micro-bubbles that the skimmer will produce.

ok got it , will make the changes needed ,thanks

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Looks good but..

• Make sure you install unions w/valves before and after your pumps. That way you can shut off water from both directions and remove the pump for cleaning.
  • I suggest installing a T after the return pump so you can control the output by simply diverting some flow back into the sump. Doing this is less stressful to your pump than throtling it down.
  • Plan on an ATO. Check out AutoTopoff.com Get a dual float switch set up so you lessen the chance of one sticking and flooding your room. You'll want a freshwater reservoir of at least 5-10 gallons. Enough to top off any evaporated water for a few days. Make sure the hose running from the fw reservoir does not create a gravity fed vacuum that tries to reach equilibrium between the sump/reservoir.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Looks good but..

• Make sure you install unions w/valves before and after your pumps. That way you can shut off water from both directions and remove the pump for cleaning.
  • I suggest installing a T after the return pump so you can control the output by simply diverting some flow back into the sump. Doing this is less stressful to your pump than throtling it down.
  • Plan on an ATO. Check out AutoTopoff.com Get a dual float switch set up so you lessen the chance of one sticking and flooding your room. You'll want a freshwater reservoir of at least 5-10 gallons. Enough to top off any evaporated water for a few days. Make sure the hose running from the fw reservoir does not create a gravity fed vacuum that tries to reach equilibrium between the sump/reservoir.

Doni how do you compensate for the ATO being higher than the sump and logically creating the potential for a "Gravity feed" situation?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Doni how do you compensate for the ATO being higher than the sump and logically creating the potential for a "Gravity feed" situation?

When my FW reservoir is full, it is about 6" higher than the sump's water level. When the small pump turns on, water flows up and then down into the sump; when the pump turned off, there was a siphon affect and the water kept coming out from the reservoir.

To compensate for this problem, I made a few small holes in the tube just above the reservoir's max water line. The holes break the siphon. This is the same principle when we drill small holes in our return locline spouts in the main display to prevent the back siphoning issue when the return pump is off.

Ouch... does that make sense?? :bugout:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'll be the first to admit I am "green" when it comes to the complexity of "Tank-ology" especially plumbing these beasts... but I usually am able to some-what get my mind around these concenpts but I can't for the life of me get this one under control. I understand how a small hole breaks siphon on the U-tube but can't picture how you do it with the ATO/FW reservoir.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
untitled-1.jpg

If the hole was NOT made in the above drawing, the reservoir on the left would empty into the sump (right) until both water levels reached equillibrium and were level.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
untitled-1.jpg

If the hole was NOT made in the above drawing, the reservoir on the left would empty into the sump (right) until both water levels reached equillibrium and were level.

Ok now I TOTALLY can "See" what you're talking about. Does the "hole" not affect the water being pumped? Or is it small enough and positioned to where it just drips water back into the ATO tank with little affect on the total process?
LOVE the drawings! Especially the Self Portrait :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Ok now I TOTALLY can "See" what you're talking about. Does the "hole" not affect the water being pumped? Or is it small enough and positioned to where it just drips water back into the ATO tank with little affect on the total process?

Yes, the hole is small and pointed at the container wall. A small stream of water squirts out when the pump is on.

LOVE the drawings! Especially the Self Portrait :)

Thanks. I have more hair than that... I swear :snshne: