I'm trying to decide which controller to get

Which of these controllers do you prefer?

• AquaController Jr.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • ReefKeeper II

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Neither, ..........(insert your choice here) would be a better choice & costs about the same

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

corrado007

The AquaController Jr or the ReefKeeper II.
The new ReefKeeper Elite looks pretty cool but I'd like to keep within the price range of the first two I mentioned. I have the Aquarium Controller Chart that's floating around from RC but I'd like your opinions on which is better and why you prefer the one you do. I've done a search or two but I'd like a bit more input if you don't mind. By the way, you can see my tank and it's equipment that I'll be controlling in my signature.
Thanks!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I'm biased towards the Aquacontroller because that is all I know. PM Bluespotjawfish, she has both of them. I think Woodstock has also owned both of them.

corrado007

I'm biased towards the Aquacontroller because that is all I know. PM Bluespotjawfish, she has both of them. I think Woodstock has also owned both of them.

Thanks for the tip, I've sent a PM. Hopefully we'll get a bit more input here.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Reefkeeper Elite?? I will need to read up on that :)

I have an Aquacontroller III on my reef tank and a Reefkeeper II on my QT. Both have their pros and cons and it depends on what you're looking for.

I chose the Aquacontroller III for my reef because I knew it could control a LOT of devices by daisy chaining DC8's (I am using 17 controlled devices on mine right now) and it can email me with alerts and also allows for offsite web access (perfect for when vacationing). However, there is a learning curve for programming this but once you get past that, the controlling possibilities are endless.

I chose to install a RK2 on my QT because I wanted to use a simple menu driven control panel which is SUPER easy and I only needed to monitor the PH and temperature. The RK2 can be set up in 5 min and is extremely easy to use. Although it has a lot of other great features, the number of controlable devices is limited to 9 I think?

Cavinca

Im a Fan of the ACjr... I ve been tinkering with it and it seems more open source (computer nerd) the the others... this means that someone savy with programing and computers can write some nice programs for it.. and some nice computer serial based interfaces.. If i only had the time...

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It looks pretty neat, I ran across it while looking at the ReefKeeper II, who knows maybe it's worth $500. They are taking pre-orders. Here it is in case you'd like to check it out.
By the way, thanks for helping out with my research :)

That is NICE!!! It looks like it is now comparable to the AC III!! :thumbup:

BrothaWolf

I have the RKII... no problems with it Been in use almost 1 year now. Set it and forget it. Simple to use and operate. No experience with the other.

corrado007

First, let me say thanks for the help you've all been offering so far. I did a few searches and was surprised to not find any serious discussion or opinion sharing on these two popular and very similar controllers. So thanks and keep the ideas coming! :)

According to the controller comparison chart the AquaControllerJr. is PC programmable and the ReefKeeper II isn't, so I'm assuming on the AC Jr. you can just plug it into your computer and easily program it via some provided software, right? Seems like it would be useful and kind of cool to be able to set it in that way. The chart does say that the RK II has a PC connection, is that right? What's it for if it's not programmable, data logging maybe?
I have to confess, I like the way the RK II looks better (the aesthetics of it) but it seems like the AC Jr. is a bit more functional.

The only other differences I see are a lack of tidal effects and alarms on the RK II, am I missing anything?

corrado007

Also, I see that the AC jr. has a float switch function, I assume that's for controlling ATO etc.. what type of input does it need? That is to say, is there a low voltage port or something on the controller to get the signal from the float switch?
Thanks.

Octoman

The float switch input is in the serial connection for the computer on the ACJr. So it would take a little engineering to hook it up.

Octoman

Here, it's easier to just show the diagram from the manual than describe it...

Attachments

• acjr.JPG
    acjr.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 38

bluespotjawfish

Hello, I choose both.

RK2 - Simple to use and program. Plug and go. I couldn't get it to work my ATO or make it so that my heater would turn on/off based on temp (it is supposed to do that, but for some reason mine doesn't). Single cord from the controller give a clean appearance.

ACJr - Research and make sure you get all the pieces and you have included those pieces in the price. Serial cable, likely an adaptor to get it to work with modern computers, full software if you use your computer with it. It has several programs that do some spify stuff, I use it to control heat/fans based on temp and a few pumps. All the cords for the probes, computer, etc come out of the controller, which needs to be above your water level and likely will be noticable. It can only control 12 outlets (and only with the additional DC4 - more cost). So if you want more programmable outlets (and ethernet) start with the ACIII. If I was to start over (and money wasn't an issue) I would get the ACIII and control everything from it.

If you want simple - RK2

If you want more programming options - ACJr

If you want more flexibility and growth options - ACIII (or better)

Hope this helps! BTW, you can't believe everything Scott tells you, but I'm happy to chime in.

corrado007

Hello, I choose both.

RK2 - Simple to use and program. Plug and go. I couldn't get it to work my ATO or make it so that my heater would turn on/off based on temp (it is supposed to do that, but for some reason mine doesn't). Single cord from the controller give a clean appearance.

ACJr - Research and make sure you get all the pieces and you have included those pieces in the price. Serial cable, likely an adaptor to get it to work with modern computers, full software if you use your computer with it. It has several programs that do some spify stuff, I use it to control heat/fans based on temp and a few pumps. All the cords for the probes, computer, etc come out of the controller, which needs to be above your water level and likely will be noticable. It can only control 12 outlets (and only with the additional DC4 - more cost). So if you want more programmable outlets (and ethernet) start with the ACIII. If I was to start over (and money wasn't an issue) I would get the ACIII and control everything from it.

If you want simple - RK2

If you want more programming options - ACJr

If you want more flexibility and growth options - ACIII (or better)

Hope this helps! BTW, you can't believe everything Scott tells you, but I'm happy to chime in.

Thanks for answering my PM, I've been looking forward to your input. You've just confirmed what I've been thinking based on my research. I think I'll go with the Aquacontroller Jr.

Thanks again! :)

corrado007

Well, I just thought I'd make an update to the debate. I ended up ordering the AC jr. because of the flexibility in set-up, more functions, and expandability. It was a tough choice for me because I'm pretty concerned about the aesthetics of the unit and in my opinion the RK II is much better looking. Oh well, got to go with function over form.