I'm new here (Digger)

daddavis1

Recently found forums a decent place to get information. RC now this.
I volunteer/manage a Reef Setup and a Fresh water Fish Tank for a Nursing Home/Assisted Living NonProfit Establishment in Seymour WI. Thats by Green Bay, WI. for those Packer Fans Out there. I've been doing this for 7 Years. The Salt Water Reef Since 2001. The Setup has changed alot since its inception.

Current setup Constist of
4 -92 Corner tanks over 2-(50-60Gal refugiums) which are connected with 3" PVC. The tanks form a 6' diameter circle with a 3.5 Gap between the tank walls. All the water is shared.
Circulation is via a 1hp Pentair Sea horse (I've had complaints about the noise).
Lighting 4 250 WATT MH DE USHIO 10000K 1 Per Tank on Ice Cap Ballasts and comming soon as I finish them 96 Watt PC 7100 K Bulbs (some of the tanks have a yellowish cast.
Additives: Initially was based on Garfs Bullet Proof Reef but due to the prescribed additives to maintain that system we have switched over to a Kalc Reactor and 5% Weekly Salt changes. With 500 Gal System we have saved tons already.

One of the recent changes that has made a big difference is the use of RO/DI water. We have high phosphates. Recently I've had to add additional Sodium bicarbinate because the DI resin is nearly depleted.

Inhabitants: Soft and Hard Corals(LPS,SPS), 10 Fish, Pepermints, 1 Tricadia Gold.
Struggles: Aptasia, Brown Film Algea, Calerpa Control in the Tanks

Vision to the provide the residence and visitors an interesting colorful viewing experience of ocean life they would not otherwise experience or know about.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary Daddavis1 !!

Tons of karma to ya for volunteering your time & $$ for the local rest home!!!! Outstanding! :clink: :thumbup: :whstlr: :angel3:

ReefLady

Staff member
Welcome, that sounds like a really cool setup- would love to see some pics!

About your struggles... those are all pretty common, you're in good company here. :)

Try reading up on aiptasia, algae control in the knowledgebase: www.reefsanctuary.com/knowledgebase

Gina

RS STAFF
:hallo: and Welcome! What a great thing you are doing! You should be proud of yourself for giving them the beauty of the reef to look at!

daddavis1

Thanks all, pictures just don't do it justice not to mention to do good photos you almost need an SLR. The curved glass 34" radius reeks havok. This sytem is doing very well now and have a varied coral and inverts along with the fish.. The fish are really what the residents cue in on. Well if you ever find yourselves in Green Bay for a Packer Game, Seymour is just 18min west on 54. Vistiting hours 8 to 8.

victorcan

Thats a noble thing your doin there man cool deal!
If the bills play greenbay in a regular season game Ill stop by.
Keep upthe good work. :smoking:

jimeluiz

Great reminder tht if you don't have room for another tank in your house/apartment, the folks over at the assisted living facility would love to enjoy your hobby.

Very cool. Welcome to RS.