Ian's Jumping In Feet First RSM 250

So I am getting back in to marine aquariums after a 28 year hiatus.
When I first tried to do this it was an ordeal, now after my daughter asked for and received a 14gal BioCube I see how much easier it has become.

I got an RSM 250 in trade and I am in all the way.

Tuning.jpg

Running a chiller with a borked digital readout so I am not exactly sure if the temp is set right but I am using redundant temp gauges for control.
I got it with the previous owners sand, rock and water but I did a 1/3rd water change and I am cycling it just to make sure it is good.

Really looking forward to this adventure and this forum has already been a huge help!

Well, problem one.
I thought I had figured out the knackered readout on the chiller but I was wrong. Woke to find the temp in the tank was at 88. I immediately lowered the setting (still have no idea what it is) until I heard it kick on.
I am pretty sure that I don't want to struggle with this so I guess a trip to the LFS for a new chiller is where I am starting my day.

Any suggestions on brands? The one I have now is a Current 1/4 HP.

black2012

88 degrees!? I'm shocked that it got that high. Do you have a heater running? What is the temperature of your house?

I do not run a chiller and the highest it ever gets (just from the lights) is about 80.

Do you have your light ventilation fans on? The fan in the back of the tank?

Hey black2012,
The chiller is also a heater and since the readout on the front is broken I had no way of knowing the actual setting. It is now back down to 81.
The ventilation fans are all running except the back left since there is no power cable for them. My house temp is 74. I have them in my office which I keep cold for my computer.

In the meantime, these guys decided to come out. I actually figured they were dead, but happy surprises abound.
stars.jpg

And the peppermint shrimp that was hitching in a rock has made an appearance.

peppermint.jpg

I added a firefish to pump up the bio-load as well as more guys for my cuc.
Another shrimp and 10 blue-leg hermits (small).
So far everything is rockin' chem wise and my stars open more every day.

_MG_8878.jpg

I know most people go with Chromis or Damsels for a first fish but they are boring!

So I also have a white-tipped green torch that was doing great but I moved him to a different spot in the tank. It is at the same level in the water column with about the same amount of flow, but now it appears to be bleaching a little. The colors are fading to a dull brown.

Any ideas?

Jeez! I realized I hadn't posted a photos since I had finished 'scaping.
You can really see the scratches in the glass in the photo, not so much in person.

scaped.jpg

Any ideas, comments, criticisms, suggestions? Anything is welcome.

black2012

Wow what kind of firefish is that? I don't typically like them but that one is amazing.

My only fear is that my wrasse will pick on it.

black2012, it is a purple firefish. I am pretty sure it goes under another name... a type of goby if I am not mistaken.

Thanks Tokalosh, I intend to create a column on the left that extends all the way to the surface and eventually place montis and zoas on it.

A quick update.

I have ordered new lights since it seems the previous owner liked blue... 5 actinics and one white!
I threw a single white in the mix until they come and it has made a world of difference!

I moved my torch to the sand and wether it is his new position or the different lighting he has started getting his color back.
torchy.jpg

Also in doing some moving I discovered this guy.
bloodshroom.jpg

He was opened to about 3 times this size till I pissed him off.

Also I came home to find my wife (you will often here me talk about how awesome the woman is) had bought me this
head.jpg

So I also have a question for all of you. Most of the choraline algae on the back of my tank died off (not unexpected till the tank balances a bit more) but there is one patch around the main exhaust from the sump that has turned a bright blue.
bluechor.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this and should I worry?

Thanks all, loving this!