I know that this is going to sound insane, but..

nigle

Oi!

Well I bought 4 petsmart 'top' [angled] tanks from a PS that was redoing their tanks
thinking that I will make 'sumps' for my tanks, someday, that was two years ago, HA!

I eventually connected two of them together as a 'system' and noticed that the the
'system' seemed to settle down 'faster' than a 'glass box' system, i.e. my 75 gal tank did,
even though both were started with rocks, sand, etc. from other tanks.

A few weeks ago my 75 sprung a leak, I thought about trying to fix it but thought with my
luck it would start to leak again so I was able to buy from a LFS an overflow 75 tank
and start a 'real reef tank'.

Now I hate plumbing, really don't like it at all, so I thought about it for days before I
decided on what it was that I was going to do.

Eventually I got the 75 system up and running and all is back to 'normal' or what I
thought was normal, now here comes the insane part of the post.

Overflow tanks make sense don't they, DUH! With the water falling out of the bottom to
a 'holding' rubbermaid box for filtering, then out a hole I made in the rubbermaid to the
filter basket for final into a 29 gal long tank where the 'pump' is [imagine me with a pump now,
not just 6 powerheads, wow] the water now being about 100 gal in total with my
1060 GPH pump is flowing like WONDERFUl, the slimmer is now in the 'sump' and working like mad
and the tank with no diatoms to speak of and just
enough cyno to keep my lawnmower happy, the system is recovering from the change
faster than ever before [other than the 2 25's I hooked up together]

So to beat a dullard in the head, I guess overflow tanks work.

I am a changed reefer.

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I think I've seen an "overflow" tank before. Do you have any pictures of yours?

nigle

Woodstock said:
I think I've seen an "overflow" tank before. Do you have any pictures of yours?

Oi!

OK maybe I'm using a wrong 'term', a drilled tank with an overflow structure on the back.........oh are you being funny again!

Geesh I fell for you again:cry1:

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

Gina

RS STAFF
On our last tank, we had an overflow box. Which, was better than not!
Our new tank has the overflow built in and I love it!
I'm glad you like your new set up!

Witfull

i had an overflow sump,,,but it was 'cause i left the top-off pump running and walked away~~~