hurricane ernesto....

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
"OT" hurricane ernesto....

well as everyone knows if they watch the news this hurricane is coming straght for florida...we are now offically in a hurricane watch..it is chaos here already gas lines are 30-45 minutes long and home depot and such ..well forget it.I live in palm beach county and they are projecting the path to go right through here .."projected" being the key word ..hopefully not ..but im sure we will be getting somthing...the time has come again be prepared luckly i have a generator to use and i will be using it im sure my water is on well so ill need it for that too...anyone on here who has been effected or in fla area feel free to post your preparations aswell or any ideas for this coming storm..you are all become my friends and i hope everyone will stay safe i know i will be.

Last edited:

blue_eyes53813

Well I hope you all can stay safe,,, safe as possible anyway and I hope it loses speed and well it just disappears.... Have you been through one before iluvzigz?

WaiWiliki

I'm not going to think about boarding up until Castro is finished with Ernesto. We've boarded up too many times recently, and as long as the winds are somewhat low the boards can go up in an hour! I've got it down to a science these days. One thing I got burned on in 2004 was not having actual cash in hand.

Cartman89

Yup. I remember those gas lines lol! Have fun during the hurricane. Be safe. I been through a category 3 before and it really wasn't that bad for us. Just some damage to the pool deck area. It may miss you and head right to the atlantic.

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
blue_eyes53813 said:
Well I hope you all can stay safe,,, safe as possible anyway and I hope it loses speed and well it just disappears.... Have you been through one before iluvzigz?

B.E.-yeah ive lived here all my life...we had about 7 in the past two years alone ...andrew in 92' and so on its not fun.tahnks for the well wishes.

waiwiliki-yes i feel you im leaving right now to get some water and propane..wish me luck...

cartman- i hope so

oldsaint

Good luck. Hopefully it will blow out in the ocean.
I'm not preparing too much but will have about 130g of new SW and 30g of ro/di water standing by if I or anyone else needs it. :)

Cartman89

Make sure you have some sort of generater or battery operated airstone for your tank. The power went off only one time out of a lot of hurricanes that hit us.

WaiWiliki

There is somehting to be said about being prepared. Couple of the north palm beach county gas stations were out of gas this morning. I totally forgot about propane but I should have enough to get through a couple days. I'm just glad my garage door was finally replaced last Thusday! The old garage door almost rattled off during the last three hurricanes.

mps9506

Lived on the east coast for 20 years now. Decided two years ago any storm that is cat 3 or higher will mean I'm closing stuff down and driving inland. East NC floods way to easy. Took me two weeks to get back to my place after Floyd.

lcstorc

Went through the eye of Andrew and now take all storms seriously. Between that and freaky Charlie a few year ago, I just board up and stay home.
Having a backup power source is extremely important. After Andrew I did not have power for 6 weeks. Fortunately I did not have a tank at that point.
Best of luck everybody. Hopefully this one will stay small and just be annoying. :) Perhaps a wake up call so we all have our batteries etc. LOL

FateX8

Yeah, I'm at Florida Tech in Melbourne and they're saying winds upto 60mph from the last I've heard but what I've seen hurricanes do during the past 4 years I'm not too worried. If it were a cat 3+ then I'd be a little worried but I'm not too worried about this one. Not worried for me because it has to pass about 200miles of land before it gets to me. Classes are cancelled from 3pm today and reopens on the 31st for us. Only thing I'm worried about is the power going out. In the heat without a/c is just horrible.

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
yea im not really worried about the storm i just dont wanna be w/o power for the sake of the tank..it shouldnt be that bad as of now it wont even be a hurricane now....we'll see thanks to all for the words of wisdom and be safe too all in the area .

Frankie

RS STAFF
Wow that looks nastie iluvzigz! Im taking no chances here in charleston, SC and rigged up my generator to the house incase of power outages. Our power here go's out when the dog pee's on the street pole. :/ It was quite easy actually. Just made a run from the generator through the drier vent to the drier outlet. Turn the main off and fire it up. powers the whole house. The reason i turn the breaker off is, when they come to fix the down wire or whatever, the juice im pumping in can run down the lines to the poor guy fixing it and he'd get some jolt for sure! With the breaker off i cut the connection to the out side world. just wanted to say that incase anyone else tries this. The power will be good enough to run the tank, house lights and fridge for 6 hours at a clip. Then i need to fill the gas up. DIY rocks!

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
yea i know all about that my old roomate was an electrician so last year for the hurricanes he set up a box with its own breaker just for the generator leading from the main service box..good luck you should be ok ..we're still getting rain and 25-30 mph winds outside..its been lingering ..nothing crazy though

mps9506

Just tell ernesto to be sure to bring some nice glassy waves to NC once it leaves florida. I'm gonna be at the beach with the boards bright and early to catch some nice lines I hope. Hope the choppy nasty waves won't show up until I have to leave for work, then maybe he will leave some nice waves for the weekend.

Frankie

RS STAFF
8:30 am update-What a joke this is. This town shut down over this storm and now i have to keep my kid home from school! 5 days off!? this system stinks here. im angry, hows my kid soposed to learn. I have seen worse rain fall in NY. I sure hope the re open the schools for tomorrow.