How to Quarantine BlueSpot?

tex5620

A buddy of mine just bought a Blue Spot for his tank and was wondering how to quarantine him. The LFS will keep him for a week but after that he is done. He has a QT running but doesn't have any sand in it. Will the pvc pipe be enough or does he need to add a deep sand bed to it. He wants to Quarantine for about 6weeks because the last fish he bought there had ick show up bout 2weeks from purchase and never had problem before. Better Safe than Sorry I told him.

goldenmean

I think you could use a large tupperware-like container and put a DSB in that.
Give the BS some rubble too so he will be comfy for his QT

althea2you

so just to clarify...(cause i will need this info soon also...

if he DOES have to medicate... go ahead with that sand in there... but DO NOT put the sand back into the main tank when he is done with it...right?

leebca

Once again I have to give Woodstock credit for actually reading something I posted. :clink:

Not all substrate-living marine fishes need to have substrate in quarantine. If after researching the fish and the hobbyist finds the fish absolutely must have a substrate, then the choice substrate is a totally silica based substrate.

Unfortunately, sand for human use often contains carbonate contamination. This isn't important for human use, but makes that particular sand unsuitable for marine use in this scenario. Don't buy cheap stuff AND be sure you are getting sand without carbonate contamination.

The sand can be easily tested to see if it contains carbonates. Take 1/4 cup household vinegar and dilute it 1:2 with tap water. Slowly trickle in 1 full Tablespoon of the sand. If there is any reaction or evidence of bubbles being made, the sand has carbonate contamination.

Pure silica sand, like a glass aquarium, will minimally/not noticeably interfere with a medication application, like copper. The sand can be used at whatever depth is necessary, but the QT should be larger if it will be a DSB. Also, as someone previously suggested, you could put the silica sand in a deep bowl within the QT.

:thumbup:

leebca

The bowl would provide more space if it was a square or rectangular plastic container with straight sides, I think. The curved sides towards a small base may be asking for it to tip over when the fish digs into it AND the depth is only deep right in the center.

It would depend on the size of the fish. Just choose something it would have space to maneuver in. :thumbup: