How to grow algae in my tank ?

fulinn

Hi All -

I know this is an odd question, but how can I get algae to grow in my tank ?

I have a very light dusting of brown diatoms, but really nothing else.

I'd like to have a reasonable amount for my hermits and coral banded shrimp to graze on.

I have N.O. coralife 50/50 lights that are on for approx 8 hours each day.

Thanks for any help / thoughts.

Bonnie

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
but how can I get algae to grow in my tank

The answer is increase nutrient levels but be careful what you ask for ! There is always micro-algae growing on the rock, do you have any fish ? Your shrimp and hermits will scavenge for leftover food detritus etc.

Kensn

I would rather buy tablet food for the hermits and shrimp then to purposly add nutrients to a tank. Algae can overcome and destroy a tank once it gets a foothold.

It also sounds like your tank if fairly new, yes???

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
You tank must be new to be asking for such a thing. Be patient, the algae will come... Increasing the lighting will make it grow faster.

fulinn

Yes the tank is about 2 1/2 months old and doing well.

I was thinking that there might be a "good" algae that I should be encouraging to grow.

I don't have any fish at this time they will be added in early August do to family vacations in June/ July and I don't want to add the fish and then leave them with a non-fish pet sitter.

Anyhow, I am feeding the hermits and shrimp by offering Seaweed ( which no one likes ) and the leftovers when I feed the starfish.

so I guess that everything is fine the way it is and I'll sit back and enjoy the tank.

Thanks all

Bonnie

Cougra

The simple answer is don't encourage any type of algae to grow in your tank. Even the so called "good" algea will take over control of the tank and you will be cursing yourself in the future for putting any in the main tank. If you want some macro algae you should add it to the refugium or sump and let it grow there where it can take all the space it wants and still give you the benefit of removing nutrients from the system.

Have patience with the main tank, the diatoms will go away and the rest of the wanted and unwanted algae will grow once everything stablizes.

phil

if you want algae its best kept in a refugium not in the display tank. I do all i can to prevent algae from growing in my tank.

kinghokus420

just add some new halides!!! they will make your tank turn a lovely shade of brown in just a matter of days!!!! especially when the timer sticks when your camping (no corals yet)and the halides stay on for a few days straight.!! i have a new tank too and thought the algae blooms were slow in coming. i solved that problem.

fulinn

Hi Guys,

Well as you've all pointed out perhaps its not such a good thing to encourage algae growth.

The only reason I wanted to do it was cause I had a few animals that like to use it as a food source.

However, they are doing fine, as far as I can tell without it so I guess I'll follow everyones advise and not try and grow algae in the display tank.

Thanks for your thoughts !

Bonnie

Cougra

There will be enough algae that grows in your display tank for the grazing fish to graze on without any problems. You should rely more on feedings then what the tank can provide for the fishes nutrients in any case. Simply add some nori for the grazing fish and they will be fine.