how to generate coraline?

beel

I have problem maintaining coraline algae on my liverock in my aquarium. it has stop growing and start declining lately.. is there any special need in maintaining coraline algae?

i left my aquarium outside the house with direct (screen) sunlight on it (80% sunlight). with aquarium temp 29 degree celcius and no coral or fish living in it currently. it has nitrate 25 ppm and also well circulated. urgent assistance needed.. pleasee.. thanx lotz guys!!

Spooda420

couple of suggestions keep the Ca and ALK up where its supposed to be 400/450 ppm and 8/10 respectfully. Really I think and light will do... start a small patch somewhere and light use your girlfreinds tooth brush to spread it :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yep, ditto to Spooda ..except using your girlfriend toothbrush..LOL.

Doing frequent water changes using a good sea salt (i use Oceanic) will keep the levels up good enough unless you have lots of calcium using corals in your tank; then you'd need to supplement using either a 2-part or kalkwasser.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
i left my aquarium outside the house with direct (screen) sunlight on it (80% sunlight).

It is still early for me, so I apologize. I'm confused by this statement....is the tank outside now? Or you left it outside before you put your rock and water in it?

Couple of questions: What is your tank's age? What are your water chemistry parameters? Too many organics in the system will keep coralline from growing as well. Do you have a decent skimmer on the tank? As Spooda stated, if you scrape an area of coralline, then that will distribute the spores and help it to spread.

mick77

I had the same problem as you do and it took my coralline algae months to start spreading. Careful what you wish for, because now I can't stop the stuff from covering everything! It seems like I have to scrape it off the front glass weekly. Woodstock, Spooda, & Nikki are right on with their advice, great info!

beel

thanx alot guys for the information and advice.. its really useful for me. well nikki, my aquarium is a month old circulated without any habitants in it. i left it outdoor to gain benefit from the sunlight. another thing is that i use filtered natural seawater, (straight from sea). which has 25ppm nitrate. i know it is terrible but, getting salt is expensive for me. again, thanx alot all.. really great info!