How much Lighting do i really need?

Calvi

Hi, i have a 50 gallon tall tank about 22in deep, i am starting to have some coral in my tank.
I have a tek six bulbs t-5.
I ask some LFS about how much lighting a day do i need. One say about 3 hrs.
and another say 12hrs.

So im totally confused.

i am planning to put some chalice and acan into the tank. I already have a few ricordia and a star poly.

thanks for looking. and appreciate the help =]

DaveK

I would start your lighting off at about 10 hours a day and then increase it as needed. I wouldn't go below 7 or above 16.

Every tank is a bit different, so there is no hard fast rule, although I would say the LFS that told you 3 hours is incorrect.

Also, I recommend that you do not believe anything a LFS tells you unless you can confirm what they tell you in serious books and places like RS. You will discover rather quickly that most people in a LFS are clueless with it comes to SW systems.

Calvi

another question.
i use 2 bulbs as my dawn and dusk light. 2 actinic bulbs
how many hrs before and after should i leave it on?

chipmunkofdoom2

All these answers vary greatly by opinion, what livestock you have, your lights, etc. On the equator, the days are about 12 hours long, so I use that as somewhat of a benchmark, figuring that the sun is weakest during the first 2 and last 2 hours of each day. I have my actinics on for 10 hours and the daylights on for 8 in between. Again, this will vary as pretty much any time combo will work. Just follow what Dave said, no less than 7 and no more than 16. See what your tank reacts to best. If you have algae problems, back off the lighting a little.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
All these answers vary greatly by opinion, what livestock you have, your lights, etc. On the equator, the days are about 12 hours long, so I use that as somewhat of a benchmark, figuring that the sun is weakest during the first 2 and last 2 hours of each day. I have my actinics on for 10 hours and the daylights on for 8 in between. Again, this will vary as pretty much any time combo will work. Just follow what Dave said, no less than 7 and no more than 16. See what your tank reacts to best. If you have algae problems, back off the lighting a little.

Days in summer get close to 15 hours long on a tropical reef. I run my lights about 10 hours a day. Anywhere from 8-12 and you should be good.

I highly doubt the LFS itself runs its lights 3 hours a day. They are always on when the shop is open

proenca

LFS are the source of the most idiotic advice ever.

Lets not forget that sometimes , people on the LFS are part time guys who are looking for a few extra bucks and never kept a fish and just overhear other people saying things.

I would like to know which animals does that 3 hour genious keeps alive with 3 hours of light. Snails perhaps ?

Honestly, it really depends on your corals and animals.

If you have light hungry animals ( stony corals, nem's, etc ) you should have a longer photo period ( say 12 hours )

Otherwise, reduce ( or not ) as you wish up to 8-9 hours, not less.

10 hours is the middle ballpark that most folks use.

Provides good growth of corals, promotes decent photosynthesis and its a decent weight on the energy bill - we have to look at costs as well.

For example, 2 more hours per day : 2 x 30 day on average = 60 more hours of lights on. And since we dont exactly use 12w power compacts, 60hours of whatever wattage you'r using is money.

Rhodes19

another question.

Those have more to do with esthetics. You can have them come on and off when ever you like. Mine come on and off at the same time as the day lights. Once I get my 180 up and going I will have the actinics on for about an hour or so, so I can enjoy the flourecents in the evening when I get home.

DaveK

another question.

Most people that do this turn on the actinics about an hour before the main lighting, and leave them on about an hour after the main lighting goes off.

It's more a question of how you want the tank to look.

I don't bother doing it myself, and just turn them all on and off at the same time.

JeF4y

I use my controller to manage a seasonal sunrise/sunset which varies daily, but on the whole, I run 2 bulbs for 90 mins before the mains come on and 90 minutes after they go off. In the end I'm running about 12 hours of lighting with 9 hours of all 8 bulbs.