How long does PVC glue need to dry?

Quantrill

I used the Oatey stuff in the green can (heavy duty) the can says it cures in 2 hours, but, I want to be sure before I put it into service. I've read on this and other forums anywhere from 15 minutes to 24 hours.

Thanks
David

jgking21

The longer the better, but I glued one area for my return line and only wait about 30 minutes and have had no leaks. Also this area sit above the sump so even if it did, it would drip into the sump. I'd say wait if you can!

DaveK

In an emergency I have used glued PVC pipe connections in a couple of hours, but I highly recommend waiting a day or two if possible.

cbrownfish

PVC cement hardens pretty quickly, so you don't need to wait that long. The "glue" (or cement) actually chemically bonds the fitting and pipe together, so you are not waiting for the glue to dry per se. This is a chemical process that bonds the PVC and it becomes inert pretty quickly. I typically run water through after about 20-30 minutes with no ill effects. Silicone is the product that you want to let cure for 48-72 hours.

Quantrill

Thanks y'all. I wasn't too worried about a leak as I've never had anything I made out of PVC leak so far (tater guns included!). I was more concerned about the "glue" or solvent being toxic to my fish. It still has an odor to it this morning. I think I'll set it outside to air out while I'm at work and check it again when I get home.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I've plumbed a lot of PVC and Spa-flex. I usually wait 30 minutes to an hour and I have never had a leak.

Quantrill

speaking of spa-flex, I'm gonna need to do a little revamping, I thought measured pretty close, but, it's off a little. I'm gonna pick up some spa-flex with weekend and get things to fit better. It's working for now though. Thanks for the input y'all!