How do I get a dotty back out of a tank?

magnum

I need to get a purple dotty back out of my tank. He is beautiful but he is a bully and upsetting an otherwise perfect community. Any suggestions?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Have you tried the coke bottle technique? I heard about a method last week where an aquarist placed a mirror next to the tank and while the dottyback was so intent on bullying his reflection, he ignored the net and the guy scooped him right up.

Kongor

get a smaller bottle than a 2L and invert the top, you will catch him. If yours is like mine and is an aggressive eater just put the trap next to where he hands out and you will snag him

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Everything sounds worth trying except the Dy-no-mite :poof:
Be sure & update so we will know what worked. GOOD LUCK!!

slfcaptain

Almost two weeks now I have been trying to catch my Dottyback to no avail. He mocks me. He teases me. He infuriates me. And now he is attacking the only other fish left in the tank and I can't do anything.

Steve now Free

lbiminiblue

I need to get a purple dotty back out of my tank. He is beautiful but he is a bully and upsetting an otherwise perfect community. Any suggestions?

all sarcastic answers aside...try the coke bottle technique. If that fails, try a dip net with some of his favorite food in the back of it...he may be stupid enough to swim in. The coke bottle technique works best with their favorite food inside it, and after several days of no feeding, so they're ravenous.

DaveK

If all else fails, the one sure way to get the fish out is to remove all the corals and live rock, so you have an almost bare tank, and catch the fish when it's got no place to hide. Yes, this is a major job, but sometimes it's the only way. Yes. I have done this a few times, when a fish had to come out.

magnum

I tried the bottle bottle trick last night he would go right up to it but would not go into the hole. I did this a few years ago to get a damsel out I used a bottle with a larger opening I will try that tonight. I will buy an eel or loin fish to get him before I empty the tank. I have had this dotty back for about 2 years for the first 1 1/2 years he was in a 15 gal tank with some damsels, now I put him in my 90 gal tank and he is getting more and more aggressive. its amazing to watch. He terrorizes my diamond goby and my maroon clown. when he goes after the clown my flame angle gets between them and then he chases the dotty back away. Now I see the fins on the flame angle are nipped at and he is getting pop eye. he is also going after my file fish. This little jerk needs to goback into the 15gal.

slfcaptain

All kidding aside, good luck! My Dottyback has one confirmed kill (I witnessed it) and a suspected kill. Mine does the samething with the trap, swims to the mouth but doesn't go in. I think I have caught the chromis a half dozen times (guess he wants out). I'll be gone for the weekend, on Monday he should be good and hungry. I'll put some food in the trap and hope he can't resist.

Steve now Free

Steve L

The last time I had to catch a difficult fish in my 150, I used one section of the glass lid to divide the tank in 2 parts, and before doing that I made sure he was in the half with the least amount of rock work/hiding spaces. I gradually removed rocks and put them on the other side until he had noplace left to hide then netted him.

Every tank is different and no single solution works for everybody. Some fish just won't fall for the coke bottle trap and you end up dropping your water way down and disturbing your rocks until you can get the little bugger out of there.

magnum

The last time I did it I used a Gatorade bottle with fishing line attached to the top. the only problem is you have to watch and pull the bottle out as soon as he goes in or he can swim back out. This will be my weekend project.

magnum

Gatorade bottle worked like a charm took about 1/2 hr and he has been relocated back to the 15 gal tank. Now to find a replacement something as vibrant and beautiful but plays nice with others. I'm open to suggestions

magnum

Thank for the link. It is amazing the tank has a totally different attitude since he is out and it's only been a little over an hour. My clown that huddles in the top corner by the return is swimming all over the place and my diamond goby who I never ever see is sifting sand all over the tank. If I didn't know any better I would think they are having a party.

Blue Space

Sounds just like a movie i remember...

-Ding-Dong! The witch Is Dead! Which old witch? The wicked witch! Ding-dong! The wicked witch is dead! Wake up, you sleepyhead. Rub your eyes get out of bed. Wake up! The wicked witch is dead!

Steve L

It's amazing how a single little mean fish can effect everybody else in the tank. I had a yellow dottyback several months ago that kept all of the other fish hovering above the rockwork. He claimed it all as his territory and the rest of the fish pretty much stayed at the surface until I got rid of him.