Hey, I'm Jay!

Got Bait

What's up all. My name is Jay and I 16 and from Florida. I am getting ready to set up my 55 gallon fish tank. I plan on making it a "local" tank. Possibly including: Baby Pompano, Flounder, Snook, Mullet, Redfish. I heard this was a great site and very friendly and helpful. :thumbup:

Gina

RS STAFF
Hello Jay! Welcome to RS.
Sounds interesting.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

cracker

JAY! Welcome to RS Dude! Have we chatted on the FS forum? SO you have a 55gl tank? What else do you have? like filters,pumps, any lighting?

Got Bait

Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome. LcStorc I am from Melbourne. Cracker, Yes we have chatted a bit on FS. Actually I am here because or your rec. Thanks Man!:thumbup:

Got Bait

Cracker it's a 55 gal. Im not sure what kind of lights. And right now I don't know the pump, it's a bit late. I will get back to you tomorrow about it. I'll even include a pic. The filter set up is like an under the tank type deal. It has bio balls in a little box and the water goes in there. Well it's complicated to describe so I'll just get a pic.:)

cracker

Were not buds yet but I like this young man already. He lives in Florida, he likes to fish and he has taken the time to learn before jumping into marine aquaria. He's got an intellegence level way above mine! Jay ,I bet a cool looking tank is a Babe magnet.
Wit, You need to visit Florida sometime Jay and I will take Ya out where you can " swim with the fishes":makefun:

Got Bait

I hope it is a babe magnet. Yea, anytime someone wants to "swim with the fishies", let me know.:laugh: Anyway, I finally got some of my pics up. Here they are.
watermark.php

Here is the beauty. Note the pvc pips in the back. The one on the left pumps the water in, while the one on the right sucks it out.
watermark.php

Here is where the filter box sets.
watermark.php

Here is the filter system. Water sucks into the bio ball areas, where they sort of filter out the big stuff. Then it flows into another chamber with a filter bag with charcoal type stuff in it. That filters out the smaller stuff.
watermark.php

Here is the top of the tank. Note the calcium deposits on the clear plastic. Any idea on what to use to clean it? Anyway almost done, so bare with me.
watermark.php

Finally! The lights. There are two of these. I have no idea what kind they are or what. Also, my pump is a Supreme MAG-DRIVE Utility Pump. On the side it says 700 GPH. Well that is my overview. I hope that gave you guys some insight so you can help me with my problems. I know this isn't exactly the right forum with this question. But since I'm here. Do any of you know what I can use to clean the clear plastic of the top from the calcium deposits? Also my tank has been set-up before, and has been sitting in storage for a long time. What should I use to clean it out? Sorry for the long post guys, but I just want to be real thorough. Any tips, hints, comments will be appreciated. Thanks everyone for your time. Later.
Jay:whstlr: :thumbup:

cracker

Jay, the tanks got potential for sure.. Move over to the beginners forum and let the real experts see what Ya got so far. The filter is a "Sealife Systems wet/dry filter they build them here in Jax. So the tank has holes drilled thru the bottom glass. How big are those pvc pipes?

lcstorc

You may also want to get some opinions on the bio-balls. Many people don't like them. Apparently they are very good at changing amonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate, but then they stop. Result = high nitrate. I had them and had a long standing battle with nitrates. Removed them (slowly since my tank was established with lots of livestock in it already) and the nitrates reduced almost immediately. I did see the amonia spike a bit, but not bad and I am working on that now. Anywa, since you are just starting it would be a lot easier for you to change now than later if of course you want to.
Looks like it's going to be a nice set-up. Can't wait to see it up and running.
What do you plan to keep? Fish only or do you want corals as well?
Peace
Lynn

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
In a FO tank the bio-balls are fine to use but I would use a pre-filter so you don't get large particles of food etc. going into the bio-balls and just rot there.