!!! HELP !! Return pump!!

BarbMazz

I think something MAY have gotten sucked into my return pump. It is making more noise than usual, and the flow seems uneven.. like it's surging instead of an even flow.

I do have a screen over the intake, which I had off today to clean. The pump was OFF, but I wonder if something creeped in there while I was cleaning the screen.

WHAT DO I DO! I don't have a backup pump! Stores are closed!

It's a Reeflo Barracuda external pump.

Varga

if its anything like Iwaki pumps, take out the 6 screws in the front, take off the front of the pump and you should see the impeller. nothing to it, hope its not broken.

BarbMazz

if its anything like Iwaki pumps, take out the 6 screws in the front, take off the front of the pump and you should see the impeller. nothing to it, hope its not broken.

It should be self-evident once I get the cover off, right? Good thing for those unions.

Varga

yup, everything you need to see is right under the face cover thingy. keep us posted.

Octoman

Do you have a backflow preventer on there? If not, you may be able to remove the screen and turn off the the pump and the backflow could blow whatever is in there back out.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Take the screen off again and then turn off the pump.. the water flowing back down and out the pump may clear it of the object. Turn it off/on a few times to help 'flush' it backwards.

If that doesn't work, remove the pump and clean it well. There are probably screws/bolts that you remove to get to the impeller. The tank will be okay for the 30 or so minutes you have it removed. Just use power heads for water movement in the reef. Ohh.. don't forget your heater placement (During maintennace, I turn mine off since they are in the sump)

BarbMazz

I am DA BOMB!! lol

I took off the seven screws on the front (thanks Varga!) AFTER turning off the pump, all valves, and I even put something under the unions to catch the water. :turntable

First, I have to say this pump is built like a TANK inside! So that's a real good thing BECAUSE:

There were............ count them NINE yes NINE assorted snails and crabs inside the pump. How the heck did that happen!?

They were all ALIVE. I threw them into the fuge, not back into the sump.

Priority ONE tomorrow; get better screening for this intake!

Thanks to you, Varga, Allen, Mark, Doni, Victor, for jumping right in with suggestions; YOU GUYS ROCK. If I had dollar bills I'd hand them out right now! lol :goofy:

vdituri

I was guessing 1 snail. Not 9 and some crabs.
Can't believe they are still alive. lol
Probably have a headache now. :laughroll

Varga

they were alive??!! you'd think that impeller would crush and spit them out.

glad it was not a broken impeller :)

BarbMazz

Yes, they were ALL alive! I couldn't believe it! That is one tough impeller.

I have to find something better for over the intake. It's kind of weird, because it's recessed into the tub somewhat and it's hard to get something to completely fit over it with no gaps.

BarbMazz

Backflow could not have cleared these critters out. They were right inside the impeller, and I assume very dizzy from spinning around!

One of them was a margarita snail, and it was BIG... the size of a quarter but round. And still alive. :dunno:

The pump was very clean inside, other than the critters! lol

BarbMazz

They were just having a little party in the whirlpool...

lol I guess so! When I threw them into the fuge they all scattered their separate ways. The crabs were basically RUNNING. lol of course the snails moved just a bit slower. I wonder what they were thinking and feeling while in that pump. :confused:

Varga

I made a little box with eggcrate, wrapped it in fiberglass window screen material and poked a hole on the top. used it on the skimmer, works like a champ.

Attachments

• skimmer intake filter.JPG
    skimmer intake filter.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 14