Help me id my clowns

angnak

I have had these clowns for a couple years and have not been able to id them. I have gotten saddleback, onyx, all different things. The male is the one not in the bta. Notice how he does not have a white spot/strip right before his tail like the female does.

Attachments

• female 2.jpg
    female 2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 66
  • male 2.jpg
    male 2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 65

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
they are definatley black saddlebacks, they have the full or somewhat full 3 stripes as opposed the brown(reg saddlebacks) I used to keep a black one just like yours with my white sebae anemone in my old tank....I am positive, any body else back me up on this one???

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Looks like a pair of black saddleback clowns. I'll PM Elmo18 and ask him to chime in... he is a clown expert.

Elmo18

Hi there. First, nice looking clowns!

They are the black variant of Amphiprion polymnus, aka the Black Saddleback clownfish.

Best,
Ilham

angnak

Thanks guys. They are spawning and I am unable to grow fry right now, but Steve from CoralDynamics is going to give it a try soon. I am going to wait after this batch and put a piece of tile in there. So maybe in the future we can have some tank raised black saddle backs in the hobby!! I imagine there are some out there somewhere, but I have not found any.

Elmo18

Here's a photo of some black variant A. polymnus:

polymnusblackjuvy.jpg

Best,
Ilham

tippMANn98

Hey, they look brown to me....like the regular saddleback.
If, I'm not mistaken, the Regular Brown saddleback is the only one with a "saddle" The black saddleback's dont have a saddle, but more of a full band stripe...

tippMANn98

Regular saddleback:
images

Black saddleback:
images

This is the way I have always had them come in to my old retail store...

lcstorc

Are you referring to Elmo's pic or the original pic question?
Elmo's pic is likely of clowns he is raising since he breeds beautiful clowns.

Elmo18

Hey, they look brown to me....like the regular saddleback.
If, I'm not mistaken, the Regular Brown saddleback is the only one with a "saddle" The black saddleback's dont have a saddle, but more of a full band stripe...

No, they are black variant A. polymnus babies. They are not mine. They are from a hatchery overseas.

Juvenile fish phases look different than adult counterparts. Pigmentation, and changes in striping occurs as the fish ages, and as the environment suits them better (i.e. not some 200 clowns in a small tank, etc).

Best,
Ilham