Hello From Greece

ludachris

cheeks69 said:
Hi Chris welcome to RS:)
BoomerD mentioned some excellent skimmers available in Europe if you can't find them then look into Aqua Medic skimmers they're also good and should be available in your area.

Thanks ill look into Aqua Medic too.

Nice lots of info. and recomendations.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Chris, Canada has lots of good times but stay where you can get kalokeri all year, hope to see you in the posts. Steve

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
Glad to have you join us.
Looks like you have been doing a lot of research and have a well thought out plan. One thing I did not read about was your plans for lighting. For just the fish this is not really a concern but if/when you want to start adding corals then many of them require high lighting. Starting out with the wrong lights was one of my bigger mistakes so just pointing it out for you to hopefully save you some money. :)

ludachris

lcstorc ,

Woow lights. That’s another chapter. I’ve just started to read about lights. MH seems the way to go, they are quite pricey.

I think the road I’m going to follow is see what corals and inverts are available at LFS’s. Then decide what I will eventually keep, research their requirements (among Tthem lights) then decide what lighting system I will buy.

Looks like I have lots of reading to do.

Hello
Gina
Craig
Witfull

lcstorc

Well we went with PC lights originally which were fine for the fish and sof corals, but then of course decided to add SPS and clams both of which need high light. So pretty much gave away an expensive PC fixture when we spent the money to go MH. Just trying to save you the extra expense if possible.
Many things can be kept under proper PC lighting and I hear good things about T5 as well depending on tank depth etc. I do have to say that the soft coral I had with the PC lights that I thought were doing great are even more fabulous with a lot more growth once I got the MH lights. My clams and sps seem to be doing well also though the sps are pretty new and it is a bit hard to say now.
Lots of reading to do I agree, but do not be afraid to ask questions here as well. This is a very friendly group with a lot of wonderful staff and members who are more than willing to help whenever needed.

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
check into diy MH/T5 combo ..you'll save money verses buying an all in one aaaannd you can have actinics or even daylights if you choose,without having your MH on.

thats what im gonna look into, after buying pc's at first like lynn did...

i didnt have this web site before i started but i sure wish i did....

ludachris

Hello everyone.

I’m looking for information on corals, inverts, etc. To be more exact I would like to see how “easy” or “hard” each is to care for.
For example:
Quantity, Quality of light
Water flow
Rate of growth
Price
Among others

lcstorc

Well, price is going to be nearly impossible. Things cost different amounts from store to store not yet different places. Just look at Vanquish's tank. In Singapore they apparently get a lot more fabulous sps at reasonable prices than I have ever seen in the states. The other info can be found in a lot of good books or many online sources. Unfortunately, they often disagree. It does at least give you a starting place. Also if there is a specific coral or fish you are looking at, ask on RS. We will add our experience if we have any.
Sorry, but i do most of my research through web sources starting with Google. I often look at wetwebmedia.com as well. Boomer or Boomerd recently recommended some good books. There is a thread somewhere. I will try to find it and post again in a bit if I do.
Hope that at least gives you a place to start.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hello again Chris, have you checked out ReefPedia yet?? there is an easy button on the bottom of the home page. Steve