heater

kstewart422

We had a Fluval 300w heater die last month, it caused me a couple of days of grief. It was replaced under warranty, so no issues there. How ever, with winter is coming fast, I normally keep the house about 67F during the winter months. This mainly to cut the utility costs.

I'm thinking about buying another heater for a backup. What model would be recommended by you? I try to keep my tank about 78-80F.

Thanks for your time

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What size tank?

Here is how I do my heaters (others do it differently but this works for me so far)....

Lets say I need a 300W heater... instead of a single 300W I buy a pair of 200W heaters. This way I have a back-up in-case one does fail. I try to check them once a week during water changes for damage and operation.

I like the STEALTH heaters which don't break and can take a fair amount of abuse (I've unintentionally tested them over and over). I think they are Marineland brand but not positive.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's what I have a 90g Reef tank and I'm running a pair of 200W Stealth heaters in the sump. So far so good (2 years next month).

Rhodes19

Can you run mutiple heaters (2) off of one heater controler or do you need 2 controlers? Thanks. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
hmmm good question... I would guess you could run both but I don't know. My "Controller" is on my Frag tank and the multi-heater set-up is my 90g Reef tank

r2d2

Marineland is brand for Stealth. Very nice heaters. I have many of them and never had a problem.

Wouldn't the wattage also depend not only on aquarium size but on ambient temperature? He keeps his house at 67F so to get to 80F, he'll have to raise temp quite a bit. This would require a higher wattage then someone who kept their house at 72F, right?