harelequin shrimp

mps9506

Just wondering is harlequin shrimp will eat brittle stars or serpant stars in addtion to other starfish?
Thx.
Mike

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
They are beautiful shrimp no doubt! But I think I would cry everytime I had to feed them :(

Curtswearing

I got one as a hitchhiker. I didn't have any food for it so I found some asterina stars. It didn't like asterinas and it unfortunately died before the stores opened on Monday. (The problem was that I had it for a week before I saw it).

Here's some info.

Here's a great slideshow of pics that Chuck took. Click here.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Chuck used to keep several linkias at a time for the shrimp (in the sump, if my memory serves me correctly). The shrimp would mate after getting the linkia. I love that slide show. I suppose you would have to choose what you like better, the shrimp or the linkia.

dgasmd

Awesome shrimp. Great behavior. I ahd 6 in my previous tank. Hardly ever saw them except for when I would add the sar fish to the tank. It is like they could smell it the moment it hits the water. They may become very territorial as they pair up or when eating. I quickly found that if I added the starfish alive and whole, the pair that would get to it first would not allow the others to come near it while they were eating, which pretty much lasted days or passed a week until there was nothing but a carcass left. After discovering his, I started to cut the starfish into 6 pieces and throwing them in different areas of the tank so they could all eat.

I would love to get a few pairs again in my new tank, but given how little I saw them before, I may just get a single pair for my smaller cube.

Curtswearing

I agree Alberto...they are pretty small. However, I think they would be cool in a nano because you would see them often like my mantis species tank.