Growth on Rock ID

I know it's much easier if I can get a picture, but it's just not possible for some reason. I have a few pink growths (and they are definitely pink - not reddish - but bubblegum pink) on two of my rocks. Anyway, they are pretty much circular in shape and no larger than a quarter at this point. Some of them look a little spiky and all of them have 3 or four what look like siphons coming from each. I thought sponge at first...but each one has about 3 of the siphon things. They don't move...just sit there with their little sucker-like things.

Any ideas? I'll keep trying for pictures, but it's not looking too good.
Thanks!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Without a clear picture it's difficult to tell... but, my guess would be a sponge.

blue_eyes53813

hmmm interesting. I was gonna say sponge too... my black sponge has more than one siphons... I have pink sponges too that look rough... But maybe someone else will chime in.

Thanks...I was slightly worried that it was cyano...but I didn't think it had those siphons and it's clearly bright pink and I thought cyano was red or blue/green.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Their texture is different too... cyano is a slimy mat-like film that can be blown off easily; sponges on the otherhand are ....well... spongy ;)... and are attached firmly to the rocks.

Dragon Wrasse

Woodstock said:
Their texture is different too... cyano is a slimy mat-like film that can be blown off easily; sponges on the otherhand are ....well... spongy ;)... and are attached firmly to the rocks.
....LOL.....sponges are spongy.....LOL.....thanks Woody...:clink:

Not exactly BlueEyes...I got a pic that I think will work....looks more like this:
pink.jpg
[/IMG]

I used a turkey baster to see if I could blow it off the rock and nope...so I'm just glad it's not cyano!!:whstlr:

You can see the thing I refer to as the "Siphon". Sorry it's not the greatest pic.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Kinda looks like a sea squrit. either way sponge or sea squirt I doubt it harmful

Yarr

i had soemthing very simliliar to this in my tank at one stage. was harmless and looked quite cool :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
If the siphon opens and closes, it is a tunicate; if not, it is a sponge~ Either one is only a harmless filter feeder.

Looks like a sponge to me jk. Where did you get your rock. I've bought from all three stores in Memphis and found that every piece I got from one of the stores has some type of sponge on it. Not sure if it's coincidence or where they get their rock from.