Going for a natural look with-out exotic corals.

RockBox

Because of the need to travel more often I decided to sell off most of my corals from my 40 breeder. The fear of coming home to a full blown crash was too much for me. Instead of tearing down the tank altogether I decided to go for a more self sustained ecosystem with an emphasis placed on adding more macro algae and creating a more suitable habitat for my dragonface pipefish. Currently I am trying to acquire a female mate for him.

My tank only relies on natural filtration along with running active carbon 24/7. There is no skimmer or sump. The tank has been set-up for almost 4 years and the hardy corals that I kept were acquired 6 years ago. I also have 3 chromis, a YWG, a pair of firefish and the pipefish

Here is what the tank looked like before the sell-off:

40G-03-09-06.jpg

Here is what it looks like today:

FTS100901.jpg

Firefish02.jpg

Firefish01.jpg

40G90903.jpg

Last but not least my pipefish:

pipefish90901.jpg

I know my tank no longer has the awe factor and color it once did but now I don't have to worry about a major crash while away. I still have a nice looking aquarium to come home to not to mention the nice pay off I got from selling off most of my corals.

I am going to be acquiring some more colorful macro algae in the coming weeks and will keep you all posted on my progress.

I look forward to your input and comments.

chipmunkofdoom2

It's sad that you're looking to sell your corals... your tank was beautiful and a benchmark that I'm using for what I would like my tank to be like some day.

However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I understand how the appreciation of such a tank could be diminished if all that you did was worry about losing such a beautiful thing. Also, a LFS has a planted saltwater tank and it is definitely interesting. You can get an amazing array of macro algae and I believe you can make a very nice looking, naturally filtrated tank if that is your goal.

Keep us posted.

IamELMO

While your first tank was definately something, I quite like it now, more open and more natural looking. The fish probably like it too? Still, looks real nice

Rhodes19

I know my tank no longer has the awe factor and color it once did

Are you kidding? Its beautiful! I wish mine looked that nice. I am so jealous. I would like to hear more about using macro algae and how it working for you. Please keep us posted.

RockBox

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Some of your comment were pretty encouraging.

On another note I thought I would post some pics of my corals in their new home a 120 gallon. The orange circles indicate the corals that came from my tank:

120-03.jpg

120-02hl.jpg

120-01hl.jpg

His picture taking skills need some work but you get the idea. After seeing the pics I recommended that he move the hammer to a lower light and flow location. The rest of the corals look like they are doing well.