Glenn's Reef RSM 250

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
here a pic of bryopsi from the net

4bryopsis-vi.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hard to tell. From the last picture it almost looks like neither. See if you can get a better shot with the Canon.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
For your sake, I hope it isn't Bryopsis. I'm no expert, but it doesn't look like it to me. I have heaps at the moment and the feathery strands are silvery to look at. The green is much darker too but I suppose there are various types of this horrible stuff.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Looks just like what I had in my 130D & it all went away as the tank matured, 100% of it did :)

if it not GHA, I have made 1000 post calling it that :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
It's on everything... in the tank all the rock, all the glass & even the sand

I read some try to not run the lights much during cycling & others like Randy Holmes Farley say run the lights & let the algae do it's thing... I am of the latter thinking... I am even feeding Coral Frenzy & running the lights as Red Sea suggested... started at 6 & added one hour every other day up to 10 hours now & headed to 12. Going to let it exhaust the silicates...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Why feeding coral frenzy? With nothing in the tank aren't you just feeding the algae with extra nutrients?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I just adding it to feed the cycle... a pinch... my deli shrimp have been gone for a week now... I am sure I am feed the algae too...
1183.gif

Kind of mixing advise on cycling from lee, randy & prow... in how I am cycling the tank...

Here a post from Randy Holmes Farley - replying to questions about cycling a tank... I think his 1st sentence is true for sure...

"There are as many strategies for cycling as there are reefers.

I never kept mine with the lights off, but some prefer to keep algae down during this period. It is usually not necessary or desirable to add ammonia if you have live rock.

I personally do not think that nitrite is worth measuring, unless you just like to monitor things. Unlike fresh water, nitrite is not very toxic in seawater:

Nitrite and the Reef Aquarium
Nitrite and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I'd monitor ammonia that will likely come from the new live rock (if that is what you start with), and maintain alkalinity and pH during the cycle. "

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Ah OK that! Maybe another shrimp would be better? The coral frenzy may be settling in places (rock & substrate) where it may get trapped and prolong the cycle or feed things like cyano? I'm just guessing and thinking out loud LOL!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I just added a very little bit... prow, suggest another shrimp in his advise... to keep feeding the cycle... most try to get it done... I am trying to keep it going :)