GHL ProfiLux & Wireless Equipment SetUp

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I just got my P3 setup (upgraded from PII+) and love it. The beauty is the "connectivity" that the P3 offers in regards to Local Area Network (LAN) and the potential to connect wireless to your LAN (called Wireless Local Area Network or WLAN).

Once you have your P3 connected to your LAN (using your Ethernet port and confirm connectivity using your PLC software ) it's simply a matter of making your LAN wireless (install wireless router or other device so you can connect laptops etc to your LAN) and then connecting another device to your WLAN that will allow more devices to be converted from wired to wireless (in an overly simplified term).

Once your network is wireless you'll need to add a "Bridge" device. There are several makes and models available but I chose the DLINK DAP-1522 because I have read where others used it with great success and it will allow you to connect up to 4 wired devices to your network (P3, Webcam and tons of other goodies).

• A) Connect P3 to wired network and confirm connectivity via PLC software
  • B) Adapt network to Wireless and confirm connectivity with laptop, smartphone or any other wireless device
  • C) activate and configure wireless "bridge" (details for DAP-1522 below)
  • D) Connect P3 to bridge and reconnect across network with PLC software

It's pretty much that easy. Some details will need to be more specific in relation to your wireless setup and which bridge you choose to buy. Below are simplistic directions to how I had to set mine up.

• A) Disconnect PC/Laptop from wireless/wired internet connection
  • B) Connect DAP-1522 to computer via Ethernet cable, put selector switch to BRIDGE and power on the unit (plug power cord in)
  • C) Once DAP-1522 is booted up and ready to go change the IP address inside of the DAP-1522 to 192.168.0.50 (it will show up on your computer via your Ethernet port)
  • D) start web browser and go to http://DLINKAP (DLINK software (Called DLINK_AP) isn't 100% FireFox compatible and I had to configure it via IE) and go into Set Up
  • E) Click on "Site Survey" and locate your wireless network and click on it
  • F) Enter password (if required) to your WLAN
  • G) click on CONNECT
  • H) click Save Settings
  • I) Go into STATUS and confirm wireless ENABLED and CONNECTED at bottom of page.
  • J) If all is a GO you can now disconnect from the bridge and reconnect your computer to your wireless network.
  • K) Plug your P3 into the bridge via Ethernet cable
  • L) Launch PLC software and it should CONNECT to your P3 across your WLAN in just a few seconds.

**Notes**

Now the above directions worked for My computer on My network. There are other ways including an "Automatic Set up" which isn't compatible for my particular set up. Also take note that you may not have to change the IP address inside the DAP-1522 depending on what firmware your unit is shipped with. Some of my instructions are overly simplified on purpose because depending on what version of WINDOWS your running the specific instructions will vary.

If at any time you are unclear about what to do consult the documentation for that specific device or call technical support!!

That's it. That's all it took for me to "Go Wireless" now it's time to finalize where everything goes and start setting up the options for email. email alerts and then the web-server portion. Hopefully by this weekend or at least by the end of it I'll be wireless, have remote access and be totally PIMPED OUT with my GHL ProfiLux and my RSM 130D!

In the next few weeks my custom LED array will be in and I'll be programming that with my ProfiLux!

This is going to be FUN!!!

I hope this helps someone else "Go Wireless" with their ProfiLux controller.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:LOL: I'm not teasing/tempting ya bro :) I'm just helping other people who are "moving Up" to the ProfiLux to get them Wireless. It's so much easier (and cheaper) than alternate and previous methods.

Ya know what would go GREAT with your new AWESOME tank build would be an AWESOME controller :thumber:

steved13

PREMIUM
Al, couldn't you connect wirelessly before? I'm not too good with the terminology, I just use a wireless game adapter and router with my Apex. I think that's the same thing you're doing?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Al, couldn't you connect wirelessly before? I'm not too good with the terminology, I just use a wireless game adapter and router with my Apex. I think that's the same thing you're doing?

Steve "wireless game adapter" is another general term for a "Bridge".

No I didn't connect wirelessly before. I had the older version and it required a special WLAN card that I never bought. I updated my controller and after that update it would connect to the bridge.

Hang in there Tyler. I'm not giving up on you LOL!

Cat you're gonna be using this thread in a few days I'm sure :) You'll want to do this up front so you can control/tweak from your laptop anywhere in the world :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yep you were 100% correct Steve. Talking about getting spoiled sitting here playing wirelessly! Next I gotta configure the webserver and then I'll install the "remote software". I'm having a BLAST!! :)

Cat it wont be long now!! I'm ready when you are :)

anyone who's looking for a ProfiLux or looking to add some "goodies" to what you already have they are having a dealer-wide Turkey Day Sale
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/aqua-digital/73620-turkey-day-profilux-sales.html#post1008562

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My pleasure Brandon. I'm planning to do more of these as I add more components to my set-up with the ProfiLux.

ReefPaddy

Ive done the same with an AirPort Express. Works a treat. However, still looking forward to improvements in GHL's web interface. Its been a long time coming.....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ive done the same with an AirPort Express. Works a treat. However, still looking forward to improvements in GHL's web interface. Its been a long time coming.....

Yes you're correct RP :) The good news is that they are investing a lot of time and resources into that very project :) They've migrated a good portion of their "software" team over to the web interface side of things for this very reason.

Willie McDaries

all these words give me a headache Al,where's the pics and how-to video ? LOL

awesome instructions,I assume you're still loving the Profilux,glad to see you did the P3 update....I seen in another forum that they are having a cyber week pre-order special on a complete system,regular price $1999.99 sale price $1499.99

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I feel like I just read a college textbook in Latin. Woohoo sale!

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
all these words give me a headache Al,where's the pics and how-to video ? LOL

awesome instructions,I assume you're still loving the Profilux,glad to see you did the P3 update....I seen in another forum that they are having a cyber week pre-order special on a complete system,regular price $1999.99 sale price $1499.99

Unfortunately the "How-To" for this would be ubEr boring :) When I get into some "Fun" stuff I'll see what I can work out :)

Yea they're running a sweet deal on Christmas Packages.

I feel like I just read a college textbook in Latin. Woohoo sale!

:LOL: Matt you're not right buddy :)

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ain't that the truth.

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'm strongly considering getting one of these while they are having a good deal on them but the technical aspects of it look daunting. I'm learning that I'm going to need a doser so I don't have to do this manually every day, and I'd like to add some LED strips to my RSM hood for sunrise/sunset effects. It just seems to make sense to have one controller to monitor everything. I consider myself halfway computer literate, moreso with Mac setups. Do you think that I'll have any difficulty?